X

idles too fast

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idles too fast

my 2005 600 wont idle under 2500 rpm or more when warmed up..had it at shop to have carbs cleaned and they dignosed it as leaky manifolds and replaced them but issue continues...any ideas
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." Helen Keller

Could be one of many issues hanging cable (choke or throttle), stuck choke slide, vacuum leak or the unforgiving: they didn't clean the carbs good enough, because your running lean, usually dirty pilot circuit.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

It's really common for people to compensate for a clogged idle circuit or bad vacuum leaks by turning up the idle screw until the bike is idling way high. If things are really bad that point could easily be around 2500 rpm. First step should be to pull the carbs and soak them clean. While you've got them out check to make sure the boots connecting the carbs to the airbox aren't loose (they need to seal to the airbox), the airbox drain hose is capped off, you don't have a K&N filter (OEM works best), floats are set right, A/F screws are set right and none of the vacuum caps are missing from the carbs. When you go to re-assemble, seat the airbox boots onto the carbs first, then install the carbs on the bike. That way you'll be able to see if you didn't get the boots all the way onto the carbs. Be sure you re-connect the crankcase breaather hose to the airbox and that none of the manifold clamps are interfering with the throttle movement.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Turn the idle screw down...
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

i would suggest,buying a repair manual,,but for now,first i would make sure there is no vacum leak. check lines from carbs,and boots,all it takes is a small crack in the rubber gasket,to change idle speeds,and performance.

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            Could be one of many issues hanging cable (choke or throttle), stuck choke slide, vacuum leak or the unforgiving: they didn't clean the carbs good enough, because your running lean, usually dirty pilot circuit.
            +1

not sure if the post kats use similar intake boots as the pre.. if they do, maybe they forgot an o-ring on a boot? or didn't change all the "bad" boots.... or the carbs really did need cleaning and the tech at the shop isn't to bright

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
            Turn the idle screw down...
            another +1

try first. if idle wont come down and stay down (without stalling) then look into other issues
            Last edited by boomer_95; 02-16-2013, 01:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Working...
            X