X

Lots of popping in the pipe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of popping in the pipe

I've read all I can find on here about after fire and back fire, but still not sure on what to do about it (if anything). All I've done so far is seal up some small exhaust leaks at the can.

It's not just popping on decel, it's popping constantly with steady throttle, and seems most prevalent between 4k-6k

03/600/ d&d SO/ stage 1 fac pro/ oem air box and filter.

Newly cleaned and jetted arsenic brand carbs, brand new plugs

So far I've read:
    Leave it alone
    Adjust a/f screws
    Adjust float height
    Repack muffler
    Check spark plugs

It's more of a nuisance than anything, but I'd like to at least reduce it because my last kat had a D&D and never popped like this
    previous rides
    06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
    next ride - another kat

I already told you how to fix that. It's caused by a lean condition. You have a jet kit, so that's not it. Check the A/F screw, although I'm 100% sure they are at 2.5 turns out. Next LOWER THE FLOAT HEIGHTS. FP recommends 14mm, stock is 13mm. That's the only thing I can think of. Which I already told you.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      I already told you how to fix that. It's caused by a lean condition. You have a jet kit, so that's not it. Check the A/F screw, although I'm 100% sure they are at 2.5 turns out. Next LOWER THE FLOAT HEIGHTS. FP recommends 14mm, stock is 13mm. That's the only thing I can think of. Which I already told you.
      I know damnit but I was hoping for something that wouldn't require ANOTHER complete disassembly just to lower the floats 1/2 of 1 millimeter.
      previous rides
      06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
      next ride - another kat

Comment

You might as well go for a full 1mm. I told you stock is 13.5mm, but it's actually 13 +/- .5mm. So just go with 1 whole millimeter. If you're looking for the wrong way to do something, KR is the right place. Usually that involves spending zero dollars. You already spent money so you might as well fix it right. Just leave the airbox on. Pop the carbs off the intake boots. Flip them so that the float bowls aren't facing straight down. The float bowl screws are socket caps, so that's easy. Grab a 3mm allen, take the bowls off and adjust the float height. Reassemble, should take 15 minutes, or half hour if you're slow. Make sure the A/F screws are 2.5 turns out too. I always do that, but mistakes do happen from time to time.
        Last edited by arsenic; 02-15-2013, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          You might as well go for a full 1mm. I told you stock is 13.5mm, but it's actually 13 +/- .5mm. So just go with 1 whole millimeter. If you're looking for the wrong way to do something, KR is the right place. Usually that involves spending zero dollars. You already spent money so you might as well fix it right. Just leave the airbox on. Pop the carbs off the intake boots. Flip them so that the float bowls aren't facing straight down. The float bowl screws are socket caps, so that's easy. Grab a 3mm allen, take the bowls off and adjust the float height. Reassemble, should take 15 minutes, or half hour if you're slow. Make sure the A/F screws are 2.5 turns out too. I always do that, but mistakes do happen from time to time.
          I gotta take off the damn bodywork too..and the wheels because I'm getting new tires tomorrow. Aw, what the hell....6 pack' ll keep me company. So...bend tang UP 1 mm to lower floats right? Thanks
          previous rides
          next ride - another kat

Comment

You don't bend the tab 1mm. Bend the tab a tiny bit and measure the distance between the body (gasket surface) and the highest point of the float. When it drops 1mm you're good.
            Last edited by arsenic; 02-15-2013, 06:41 PM.

Comment

What gas do you have in the tank? 89 or 93 will cause popping.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                What gas do you have in the tank? 89 or 93 will cause popping.
                I never even thought of that. Good call Steve.

Comment

Question: what will 89 or 93 do to cause popping under acceleration?
                  94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

89 and 93 octane gas are designed for engines with a higher compression. If you put the hi test fuels in a motor designed to run on 87 it'll cause the machine to ping like hell.
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I just use the 87. I'm putting it all back together now after tchecking af screws and adjusting float levels
                      previous rides
                      next ride - another kat

Comment

How'd it turn out ed? What was the issue?

Originally posted by steves View Post
                        89 and 93 octane gas are designed for engines with a higher compression. If you put the hi test fuels in a motor designed to run on 87 it'll cause the machine to ping like hell.
                        Is there a reason mine doesn't ping or pop running higher octane?
                        Last edited by crazycraven420; 02-20-2013, 09:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post

oh, sorry to leave you hanging guys. i adjusted the float levels as arsenci advised, and i even richened up the AF screws, as the instructions for the jet kit suggested...

much better, but not completely gone. the lean surging is gone, and the popping is much much less, and moved to the 6000 rpm range instead of the 4000 range. definitely tolerable

on a positive note, i went to check out cycle gear near me last weekend (15 minutes away) to get my new tires (Q2's) and they had the pro motion AF screw tool on the shelf. awesome! from now on i can adjust the screws while the carbs are still on the bike. well worth it!
                          previous rides
                          next ride - another kat

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post

Is there a reason mine doesn't ping or pop running higher octane?
                            It's still set lean from the factory, or you are running the lower octane winter blend, no jet kit
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

My apologies but I'm a lil confused Steve lol could you elaborate?

Comment

Working...
                              X