X

2006 Kat 750 Cooling fan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Kat 750 Cooling fan?

Hey everyone! I'm new here and just found the board today while trying to look up a potential problem. Usually when I park my bike for the night I hear a fan going. Now I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but I know its for cooling something. Today, when I parked the bike, I didn't hear it running at all.

What the heck is this fan for?
    Should I get the bike into the shop immediately?
    Where IS the damn thing (can't seem to find it when looking through the fairing)?

Hopefully you guys can help answer these questions, because searching Google just nets me 100's of OEM parts links.

Other than that, I'm glad I found the forums! Going to check out the NW area next.

I think you're talking about a fan that blows cool air on the carburetor float bowls for the Cali emissions stuff. It was only on CA bikes, you don't need it, it doesn't actually do anything but kill your battery.

Comment

That is true. All non California Kats do not have the fan and have no negative performance effects becuse of not having it. It is negligible that it even does anything significant as far as emissions. You can just disconnect or remove it and save yourself a potential dead battery down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        I think you're talking about a fan that blows cool air on the carburetor float bowls for the Cali emissions stuff. It was only on CA bikes, you don't need it, it doesn't actually do anything but kill your battery.
        Thanks for the quick reply. Not sure where the fan actually is, but I'll take a look when I get home today. BTW, Arsenic, that picture under your name is frakin' hilarious.

Comment

Unplug the pig tail off the fan . This never killed my battery again .

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCrist View Post
            Thanks for the quick reply. Not sure where the fan actually is, but I'll take a look when I get home today. BTW, Arsenic, that picture under your name is frakin' hilarious.
            the fan is on the left side, behind the round mesh hole in the fairing.

Comment

Is your fan the only thing that is on?

I have the same thing going on, and thanks to those giving the low down on the fan issue. I just bought an 05 kat 750 here in California and I had no idea what the heck that sound was after I turned off the bike. I have one additional question though. When I turn off the bike and the fan is running, the front and back lights also stay on. Is that typical? I'm planning to disconnect the fan today, but I just wanted to make sure that this is what's suppose to happen when the fan is running.
              "This too shall pass"
              99' Katana 600
              05' Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by hntr51 View Post
                I have the same thing going on, and thanks to those giving the low down on the fan issue. I just bought an 05 kat 750 here in California and I had no idea what the heck that sound was after I turned off the bike. I have one additional question though. When I turn off the bike and the fan is running, the front and back lights also stay on. Is that typical? I'm planning to disconnect the fan today, but I just wanted to make sure that this is what's suppose to happen when the fan is running.
                Might be a new change, but the older models (pre kats) did not leave the lights on when the fan was running. The fan was on it's own circuit.

krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Might be a new change, but the older models (pre kats) did not leave the lights on when the fan was running. The fan was on it's own circuit.

krey
                  Thanks for the reply Kreylyn. I'll post what happens after I disconnect it today just in case it helps someone else out. California kills me with this stuff!
                  "This too shall pass"
                  99' Katana 600
                  05' Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by hntr51 View Post
                    Check the position of the ignition switch. One click past lock is a parking light setting where you can leave the center front light and the tail lights on and still take out the key.......

Comment

Originally posted by indianboy7 View Post
                      Check the position of the ignition switch. One click past lock is a parking light setting where you can leave the center front light and the tail lights on and still take out the key.......

Comment

Originally posted by indianboy7 View Post
                        That was exactly the problem with the lights indianboy7. I was wondering why I hadn't run into that with my '99 and when I put the key into that one in the same position, nothing happened. I don't know if the previous owner disconnected it or what.

Also, tonight I disconnected the blower so that's no longer an issue either. Once again all of you Kat gods have come to the rescue. Thanks!
                        "This too shall pass"
                        99' Katana 600
                        05' Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                        X