X

Questions on cleaning fuel tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on cleaning fuel tank

Sooo, a few days ago I cleaned the carbs on my 1990 750. I figured that while I'm at it, I should clean the tank as well. The tank ended up being worse than I had originally thought. I pulled a big hunk of what I'm guessing is an old coating of some sort out. It's pretty nasty looking. Now before I start, I just have a few questions.
    1. Is this okay to do in the cold? I live in central Indiana, and it's pretty cold. I have a garage, but its not heated. I'm worried about the cold affecting the new coat drying properly.
    2. As you can see, my fuel level sending unit is completely shot. I bought one off of a 1995 600. Will this fit? I'm fairly certain it will, but wanted confirmation.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by TURRRDS View Post
    Sooo, a few days ago I cleaned the carbs on my 1990 750. I figured that while I'm at it, I should clean the tank as well. The tank ended up being worse than I had originally thought. I pulled a big hunk of what I'm guessing is an old coating of some sort out. It's pretty nasty looking. Now before I start, I just have a few questions.
    1. Is this okay to do in the cold? I live in central Indiana, and it's pretty cold. I have a garage, but its not heated. I'm worried about the cold affecting the new coat drying properly.
    2. As you can see, my fuel level sending unit is completely shot. I bought one off of a 1995 600. Will this fit? I'm fairly certain it will, but wanted confirmation.
    If your using por-15, it's not temp related on it's curing process. It's moisture related... meaning it cures by exposure to moisture... the more of it, the faster it cures.

Any other coating is a waste of time and $ anyways in my opinion.

Fuel sensors for all the pre should be the same and work just fine.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Awesome, thanks. After reading through several posts on here related to this, I'm definitely going the POR-15 route. About to buy the HD Cycle Tank Repair Kit. Only question is, is the 8 oz. can of Tank Sealer that comes with the kit enough? Or do I need to buy some extra?

Comment

Originally posted by TURRRDS View Post
        Awesome, thanks. After reading through several posts on here related to this, I'm definitely going the POR-15 route. About to buy the HD Cycle Tank Repair Kit. Only question is, is the 8 oz. can of Tank Sealer that comes with the kit enough? Or do I need to buy some extra?

More than enough, most of it will get poured back into the can for later use if you want.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks again. Just bought the kit. Even got free shipping for Presidents Day. Not sure what they normally charge, but I'll take it. Another site wanted $25 to ship it. Pretty good deal, imo.

Comment

Working...
          X