X

new bike, fuel switch problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new bike, fuel switch problem

I just got a new bike shipped from across the country(a 1997 gsx-r katana 750). the seller emptied all the fuel and im pretty new to bikes. i cant seem to get fuel to the engine and dont know what position the fuel switch has to be on in order to make it happen. one reads fuel, another reads prime, another off and the last one is on, ive tried the latter 3 with no results and i cant get the switch to go to the fuel setting. if it needs to be on the fuel setting, i need to know how to get it to turn to that setting. thanks!

I'm pretty sure that fuel "setting" is a label. It should have 3 settings run prime and reserve. I am no expert but I believe prime is switch forward and that lets fuel flow into carbs while bike is off for when its been sitting. Run is self explanatory but switch pointing down. Then reserve switch facing rear accesses a small reserve amount of fuel. I am no bike expert. Worked on cars my whole life and I have been studying my 92 kat 600 nonstop since I got it. Have you tried choking it I'm sure. How fast is it turning over. My bike is very cold natured but if I set it.on.prime for 20-30 secs then switch to run full choke then hit start button for a couple seconds let go then give it like have throttle let go and then starter again it fires up if its been sitting for a week in 30° weather. Good luck and I'm sure someone here will either verify what I've said or completely disagree

I looked a lil deeper I believe prime is 3 o'clock run is 6 and Res is 9 but I'm pretty sure fuel is just a label. Reserve makes it vacuum fuel from the bottom of the tank run a little higher and prime lets it flow without the vacuum the other two need. At the bottom of this page it say similar threads. I just got tthat info from there in about 3 minutes
    Last edited by adamgdup24; 02-09-2013, 02:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

You are correct my friend, it's a vacuum feed. Without the engine cranking it won't pass fuel thru the valve unless you set it on "pri" aka prime. Prime let's fuel flow regardless to fill the bowls of the carbs.
      If it was drained of fuel- add fuel to the tank, set valve to prime for about 30 seconds, return to on position, apply choke, pull in clutch and press the starter (in neutral). I've NEVER had any luck with giving it throttle on a cold start all your doing is adding more air therefore reducing the choke effect of raising the air fuel ratio. Might wanna put a battery charger in it if you crank it more than a few times. They need a good charge. If that doesn't work you may have another issue, be sure to update

Also the Katana is a GSX-F not R, just so ya know

If the 750 is the same fuel valve as the 600 (which I'm almost positive) the normal "on" position is down, "pri" points to the rear of the bike and "res" to the front. It should be on your fairing if you have it. If not download the full manual for free in the wiki here, it's great to have...an it's FREE
      94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

well you guys officially made me feel super dumb, haha, but thank you. its stored at my buddys heated garage for the winter, ill update when i get a chance to check it out

Comment

And Welcome to KR! It will make you smarter!
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by 97 gsxr View Post
            well you guys officially made me feel super dumb, haha, but thank you. its stored at my buddys heated garage for the winter, ill update when i get a chance to check it out
            We all have our dumb moments
            94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Don't feel dumb. I didn't know either I had to call the guy I got the bike from cause I couldn't start it. I was trying to set it on fuel LOL. Glad I found this forum its got every info you could ever want

Comment

Welcome and good luck
                Ride like it's your last ride
                sigpic

Comment

We have a wiki feature (link at the top of page in the bar) that has information like this detailed out...

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I had same problem on my 600, so you are not alone in feeling silly lol

Comment

Working...
                    X