X

New bike. Not sure what i have

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bike. Not sure what i have

I just picked up a 94 Katana 750 with a 94 GSXR motor. I am not sure what i really have. The bike is VERY fast but really comes to life after 7-8k rpms and the crank case cover say "GSX-R". How do i really tell thats what i have without measuring the cam profiles? Also, where will the cc size be stamped? Thanks guys
    1994 Suzuki Katana GSX-600/GSX-R-750

The CC marking should be on the left side of the motor above the cover.

There's a motor ID stamped between cyl #2 and #3 http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Motor_Types
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

You do not have a Katana with a 1994 GSXR motor. A 1994 GSXR 600, 750, or 1100 is water cooled. A Katana is oil cooled.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        The CC marking should be on the left side of the motor above the cover.

There's a motor ID stamped between cyl #2 and #3 http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Motor_Types
        Thank you so much for that. I will check that out when i get off work.

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        You do not have a Katana with a 1994 GSXR motor. A 1994 GSXR 600, 750, or 1100 is water cooled. A Katana is oil cooled.
        Well, the guy i got it from said early 90s GSX-R motor. I was refering to it as a 94 because of the year of my bike. I am 100% unsure of what year it is, whats in it, or where it came from.
        Last edited by GSXR-KATANA; 01-21-2013, 10:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The GSXR motor if it's early 90's it can be a 750 or 1100 from 90-92. In 93 they were water cooled. In the US anyway, 1992 everywhere else. The GSXR 600 came it in 92 and has been water cooled the entire time.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            The GSXR motor if it's early 90's it can be a 750 or 1100 from 90-92. In 93 they were water cooled. In the US anyway, 1992 everywhere else. The GSXR 600 came it in 92 and has been water cooled the entire time.
            Thank you for that explanation. Iv been looking for a answer like that, it really sums up all the missleading info on the inter web.

Comment

Well i found a number yesterday, well my father did anyways, i never made it to the shop. Supposably the head is marked S1? Which i guess is the slingshot motor? Can anyone tell me more about this motor? I guess i got taken.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR-KATANA View Post
                Well i found a number yesterday, well my father did anyways, i never made it to the shop. Supposably the head is marked S1? Which i guess is the slingshot motor? Can anyone tell me more about this motor? I guess i got taken.

No new information from what you already thought... actually.

It's already been explained your not going to have the water cooled version engine. The 90-92 GSXR 750 engines used the slingshot design.

It's possible it has been converted, doesn't take much to do... but most of the time the GSXR engine will have the clutch cable connect to the right side of the motor, instead of at the sprocket cover on the left as is normal for a katana.

Just something to check. Again, that can be converted, but a lot of times people don't.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  No new information from what you already thought... actually.

It's already been explained your not going to have the water cooled version engine. The 90-92 GSXR 750 engines used the slingshot design.

It's possible it has been converted, doesn't take much to do... but most of the time the GSXR engine will have the clutch cable connect to the right side of the motor, instead of at the sprocket cover on the left as is normal for a katana.

Just something to check. Again, that can be converted, but a lot of times people don't.

Krey
                  So I guess I have a 90-92 GSXR "slingshot" motor. Well I'm going over there tonight and I will double check these numbers, and the clutch cable. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Well what happened? Gsxr or no?
                    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Its a GSX-R 750. And the carbs have been jetted, or upgraded, which would explain my horrible gas milage. So, im probably going to have the carbs looked at. And i have a small oil leak somewhere. It looks like i have a little work to do before it starts warming up. I also wanna repaint the bike, its semi gloss black right now. All in all i cant really complain for a free bike. Hell it runs and drives great. I went on a ride yesterday evening and rode for a little over a hour. Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

i guess, regardless of what it is or what you call it... if you can call it "fun" , "fast" and you even said "free" (?)... who gives a sh*t! just ride and enjoy it!
                        previous rides
                        06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
                        next ride - another kat

Comment

Well said edromero, well said!
                          94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by edromero View Post
                            i guess, regardless of what it is or what you call it... if you can call it "fun" , "fast" and you even said "free" (?)... who gives a sh*t! just ride and enjoy it!
                            1991 Kat 600 Fightered
                            2001 SV650 Naked
                            2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Comment

Originally posted by edromero View Post
                              I do see your point. But I do give a shit. How am I supposed to fix what I don't know? I wanted to know what I have to make it easier on me. And yes. It was free.

Comment

Working...
                              X