No announcement yet.
X

Ran GREAT yesterday, Today? nadda.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran GREAT yesterday, Today? nadda.....

ok, guys/gals. Perhaps it's just my paranoia setting in. Yesterday was awesome here in OH. It was over 55+ degrees, sunny, I replaced the CDI box(which was the issue on this 'barn bike') and she fired right up! I aired up the tires, lubed the chain a bit, and rode her around the neighborhood for a few miles. Felt FANTASTIC! I rebuilt the carbs very, VERY meticulously, including getting Suzuki OEM rebuild kits, dipped, replaced all the o-rings, yadda-yadda.

Fast-forward to today..... It's about 25 degrees outside, turned her over, and she wouldn't start, no matter what(not even with starter fluid). I inspected the oil level, no gas in it, floats are leveled out to spec, and mixture needle is still set to 2.5 turns.

I also just did the Coil Relay mod today, and hooked her up. I'm sure I will benefit from it in the long run.

Am I just a victim of cold weather? Should I pull the plugs and inspect/clean them? Just wait for warmer weather?
    1991 Kat 600 Fightered
    2001 SV650 Naked
    2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Pull one of the plugs and make sure you're getting spark.
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Got it. I'm thinking I need to probably clean them off. Worst-case, I have a new set of DR8ES's sitting on the shelf.
      1991 Kat 600 Fightered
      2001 SV650 Naked
      2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Comment

In my experience never use starting fluid on a katana. My parts bike had it used and it made the rings so hot they melted the pistons. I could not belive it but I have the motor all apart to prove it.

Also kats don't like cold weather. Next time hook up jumper cables to a car and it will turn over faster and I bet start right up. Works every time for mine.
        Last edited by 89 750 gsx; 01-20-2013, 09:55 PM.

Comment

It's the cold weather, guaranteed.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by 89 750 gsx View Post

Also kats don't like cold weather. Next time hook up jumper cables to a car and it will turn over faster and I bet start right up. Works every time for mine.
            That was going to be my next suggestion once he verified that he is getting the spark plugs to fire. Who knows, the coil relay mod may have failed so it's a good idea to make sure it is still working.
            sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
            1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
            2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
            First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
            Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Pulled the mod(for now, and re-hooked the coils normally. Verified that ALL plug wires are sending spark. Looks like it's this bitter OH weather then. I'm betting the molasses-thick cold oil doesn't make it easy. Heh. Thx guys.
              1991 Kat 600 Fightered
              2001 SV650 Naked
              2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Comment

Originally posted by XXWoodmanXX View Post
                Pulled the mod(for now, and re-hooked the coils normally. Verified that ALL plug wires are sending spark. Looks like it's this bitter OH weather then. I'm betting the molasses-thick cold oil doesn't make it easy. Heh. Thx guys.
                I run Amsoil 10w-40 I ride all year and cold starts are not an issue providing the battery is good. Amsoil and most synthetics have amazing cold weather pour points and flow nice even in -15 degree weather

Originally posted by 89 750 gsx View Post
                In my experience never use starting fluid on a katana. My parts bike had it used and it made the rings so hot they melted the pistons. I could not belive it but I have the motor all apart to prove it.

ummm a few shots of starting fluid cant create enough heat to melt pistons unless your running the engine for several minutes and high rpm.
                the fact you needed starting fluid likely just proves the rings/pistons were already fried and was hard to start due to lack of compression.
                FWIW our drag sleds (alcohol) had to be started on ether. #1 if you didnt fire it up on the first or second pull your arms and back were worn out just from the insane compression. #2 Alcohol engines are hard to start in sub zero temps and fuel systems are often dry/ drianed to prevent damage from the corrosive fuels.
                Starting fluid is HARD on two strokes as it washes the oil off the cylinders/crank bearings but Ive never had an engine break from using it properly.
                Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-20-2013, 11:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                X