Mid-range hesitation 6k-7k

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-range hesitation 6k-7k

Hi all,

I seem to be suffering with a hesitation during acceleration.

1st and 2nd gear seem fine, 3rd gear seems to simply "suggest" a problem but doesn't actually affect performance, it just sound a little different, but it becomes more noticable in the higher gears; the higher the gear, the more extreme it becomes.

When the needle hits 6k, it seems to struggle, a bit of juddering and bike seems to slow down for a small moment, almost like it's running out of fuel, as soon as the revs go above 7k, bike is fine again.

Any suggestions?
    1997 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Originally posted by Srengam View Post
    Hi all,

1st and 2nd gear seem fine, 3rd gear seems to simply "suggest" a problem but doesn't actually affect performance, it just sound a little different, but it becomes more noticable in the higher gears; the higher the gear, the more extreme it becomes.

When the needle hits 6k, it seems to struggle, a bit of juddering and bike seems to slow down for a small moment, almost like it's running out of fuel, as soon as the revs go above 7k, bike is fine again.

Any suggestions?
    Thrash it in first then all the way through the box, that way you'll only have to go through the flat spot once......simples
    When I want your opinion I'll tell you it!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jarvis View Post
      Thrash it in first then all the way through the box, that way you'll only have to go through the flat spot once......simples
      LOL,

I suppose that's one work around.

Comment

That would be dumb.. try this http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tunin...m_engines.html
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            OK so that would work although my method would be more fun lol

Comment

Make sure you use fresh gas when you do that.

Comment

Clean the carbs I would think. Mine did that and was getting to much air. Rubber donut on filter box came lose. Put it back on the right way and no more problems.

Comment

Well it made me chuckle!!.......
                  I'm outa here

Comment

Originally posted by ManQu View Post
                    Well it made me chuckle!!.......
                    Thanks

Some people just don't appreciate my sense of humour

Comment

We had a member, I'm being nice today, post here before with the simular issue, turned out to be a float height adjustment, Maybe?
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks all,

I'll give the linked guide method a try, I've never done anything to carbs before so it will also be a good maintainence lesson for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Srengam View Post
                          Hi all,

Any suggestions?

Generally speaking, 5-8k rpms is the main jet needle settings or issues. It could be as simple as adjusting the needle position or it could be worn/damaged parts.

I would personally start by checking/inspecting each spring under the top caps, the needles for wear or damage, verify all parts are there and properly installed (spring on the plastic seat that sits on top of the needle, small donut spacer under the eclip on the needle, so on...). I would also suggest checking the rubber diaphrams are in good shape with no holes or tears, and that they show no signs of being improperly seated and pinched by the cap from someone prior being in there.

Finally I would very carefully and closely inspect the needle jet portion of the emulsion tubes for wear as well. If those are worn, then you will get abnormal fuel dispersion and amounts in the 4-7k rpm range depending on the wear.

If you doing all this... I'd strongly suggest you go ahead and do a full cleaning and rubber check on all parts. Replace any rubber that is deformed, hard, cracked or "chipped".... A bad oring under the slide guide for example can cause all kinds of issues.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'm slightly confused here to be honest.

I've read through the linked tuning method, and i've looked through the service manual trying to understand.

Regarding "adjusting main needle jet", the service manual seems to suggest that this is not adjustable, during the reinstallation section it doesn't mention it being variable.

Also, the exploded diagram seems to suggest I have four of these to adjust, how would I know which one or more needs adjusting? Or I would I simply look for one that's clearly "in the wrong place / height" or damaged?

Also, I taken to the tank off, and I've got three vacuum inlet caps where they should be, but where the fourth should be, is a screw, screwed in instead? Clearly a botched job done at some point. I've ordered a new cap. (could it be this) I did have a dodgy mechanic do some work on the valves recently.

Comment

First things first it's not the "main needle jet". its the jet needle. The needle jet is the emulsion tube. Don't worry, I get what you're saying.
                              1) The OEM needle is not adjustable. But a jet kit, either Factory Pro or Dynojet, the e-clip has grooves to go in. Therefore, the needle is adjustable.
                              2) you'd adjust them all.
                              3) highly doubtful, but if you know it's broke, fix it.
                              I'm not blaming you for calling it the "main needle jet", but that bugs me.

Comment

Working...
                              X