Hard shifting after oil change?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard shifting after oil change?

The bike is an 04 Kat 600.

When I test drove the bike before buying it shifted buttery smooth in all gears up and down.

I changed the oil with part-synthetic 4t (blended myself, 3qts conventional, rest full synth) also did filter. Since I've changed it (as in the very first ride--i even drove gently) its been making a clunk noise going into second. This is usually at mid-range rpms. If I wind it out in first and catch second it doesn't seem to do it (or at least it is overpowered by the noise of the engine) nor does it do it when I shift at lower rpms <3.5k. All other gears are fine.

I've tried adjusting the clutch per the service manual instructions and changing the oil back to conventional (currently in the bike) using rotella t 15-40 and the condition remains unchanged.

Have I screwed myself because I changed my oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Stephen

What did the oil look like that came out? I've heard of people using like 80w oil to quiet something down to sell it.
    Douglas Derby
    Sturgis ATV and Small Engine Repair

'04 Suzy Kat 600

Comment

Check the chain adjustment and lube. Also make sure throttle and clutch cables are oiled up too! Climate change at this time of year has an effect on everything!
      sigpic

Comment

True, maybe the clutch isn't disengaging completely when you shift.
        Douglas Derby
        Sturgis ATV and Small Engine Repair

'04 Suzy Kat 600

Comment

Did you make sure to use motorcycle oil?
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Just guessing here, you probably didn't put any synthetic oil in it, you put a group III oil in it.
            I have no idea what oil you put in it, but it was probably crappy oil. The last time I put conventional oil in my kat, it was Rotella 5-40 (and that IS NOT synthetic!) and it shifted poorly, replaced with a real synthetic (pao/ester blend), shifted fine afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by skshow289 View Post
              The bike is an 04 Kat 600.

When I test drove the bike before buying it shifted buttery smooth in all gears up and down.

I changed the oil with part-synthetic 4t (blended myself, 3qts conventional, rest full synth) also did filter. Since I've changed it (as in the very first ride--i even drove gently) its been making a clunk noise going into second. This is usually at mid-range rpms. If I wind it out in first and catch second it doesn't seem to do it (or at least it is overpowered by the noise of the engine) nor does it do it when I shift at lower rpms <3.5k. All other gears are fine.

I've tried adjusting the clutch per the service manual instructions and changing the oil back to conventional (currently in the bike) using rotella t 15-40 and the condition remains unchanged.

Have I screwed myself because I changed my oil?

Define "conventional".

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
              Did you make sure to use motorcycle oil?
              I should have read further down the thread.
              Last edited by Slofuze; 11-24-2012, 10:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Synthetic oil will lead to hearing more noises, thats a fact.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Use the OEM filter....

oil pressure could have been affected
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

- I used a wix filter; same one that was on the bike when I got it (but a new one of course)

- Conventional meaning non-synthetic

- Oil that came out was OK color wise (not completely black) not sludgy or anything and not too thick or thin.

- Will check and lube my cables. Chain tension is fine and I lube my chain about every other tank.

- I did use proper motorcycle oil the first time I changed it, though it was a synth-blend (partly synthetic, part conventional). What's in it now is rotella 15-40 non synthetic.

I'll try changing it again with full synthetic and new filter (I'll use an oem filter if I can get my hands on one without having to order online)

-Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by skshow289 View Post
                      - I used a wix filter; same one that was on the bike when I got it (but a new one of course)

- Conventional meaning non-synthetic

- Oil that came out was OK color wise (not completely black) not sludgy or anything and not too thick or thin.

- Will check and lube my cables. Chain tension is fine and I lube my chain about every other tank.

- I did use proper motorcycle oil the first time I changed it, though it was a synth-blend (partly synthetic, part conventional). What's in it now is rotella 15-40 non synthetic.

I'll try changing it again with full synthetic and new filter (I'll use an oem filter if I can get my hands on one without having to order online)

Get better oil and a better filter.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                      X