X

possibly blew my tranny today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possibly blew my tranny today?

Long story short, i was riding today maybe about 30 in second. A car pulled out in front of me just before i got to the intersection on a side street. So, to avoid wrecking i hit both breaks and downshifted into first. My chain broke and my clutch is seized. Shut the bike off immediately and noticed oil coming out of or around my shift crank at a slightly steady pace. Is my transmission blown? I'm assuming so since my clutch is seized.

Sounds like the chain damaged the engine casing. Take off the cover over the front sprocket and take a look at the damage. Take a picture and post it. This happened to me once on a 1976 Honda 750F super sport. Had to replace one side of the casing. Fortunately, insurance covered it.
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Okay, will do first thing tomorrow when i can get some daylight and thanks for the reply. What about the clutch though? Was it an expensive fix? When you say cover, you're referring to the fairing correct?

Comment

If the chain has flown around inside the sprocket cover, you might only have "external clutch damage" - ie stuffed the actuator or ripped out the push rod - which would also explain an oil leak. Don't panic until you pull the cover and post some pics - someone will then tell you if it's time to panic.

Comment

Your clutch may be fine, but the clutch cover may have sustained damage and it's now cracked. You won't know how much damage you have until you pull it off. Just curious.... if you were already braking hard doing 30....why did you downshift?
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

It was more of a simultaneous thing than anything i hit the brakes pulled the clutch and down shifted. I guess just for extra measure. Id rather a few hundred in parts and labor over a busted up body or worse anyday haha. I'll definitely get those pictures posted up asap though. I might add the chain wasnt old but my buddy i bought it let it fall victim to rain and weather damage all summer it wasn't rusted but had a couple slight kinks in it. Thanks again everyone for your fast responses and opinions. Glad i did some reading and heard good things about the forums here.

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
              Your clutch may be fine, but the clutch cover may have sustained damage and it's now cracked. You won't know how much damage you have until you pull it off. Just curious.... if you were already braking hard doing 30....why did you downshift?
              +1
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

It's hard to reconcile split second actions, but in the MSF class they do instruct you to shift into first at the end of a panic stop so that you are already in 1st gear and ready to move again if need be.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  It's hard to reconcile split second actions, but in the MSF class they do instruct you to shift into first at the end of a panic stop so that you are already in 1st gear and ready to move again if need be.
                  Thanks Steve. I know he didn't mean anything by it but that was pretty much where i was at, that and the added effect of engine braking. Anyway the verdict so far my allen key is stripped so i cant get the sprocket cover off but i got the fairing the majority of the way off. No damage to the engine casing that i can see but my sprocket cover is pretty banged up it has a couple of fractures and a nice dime sized chunk missing near the shifter. Awaiting another allen set and will be able to post pics soon.

Comment

Would anyone care to walk me through on how to get the shift assembly off? It Would be much appreciated.

** never mind found it in the wiki but i cant seem to find a phillps with a small enough handle to get to the screw behind the shifter. So I'm stuck at the moment.
                    Last edited by itzjusmee; 11-18-2012, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Screw behind the shifter
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

There is a one last hex key bolt located behind the front part of my shifter (that goes into my tranny) that connects.from the toe shifter to get the sprocket cover off.

Comment

Also known as ... "Not original equiptment."

Buy the tool you need... it will save you alot more in the long run having the right tool.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

They should all be hex cap screws
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

'Possibly blew my tranny' lol. I need help.
                              Extra life.

Comment

Working...
                              X