X

Any ideas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas

my 96 600 will only run while choked. it starts fine with full choke and runs around 4500rpm at half choke its around 2800rpm but as soon as it gets below half it dies unless u stay on the throttle. it ran fine when i got it then it say in the back of a truck for 2 days with the rainand now its doing this i rode it the other day at half choke for about 45 min in a parking lot. im gona spary the carb with cleaner and i ordered new throttle, clutch, and choke cables today. any other ideas

You need to do a serious carb cleaning. Specifically the pilot jets. Just spraying crap at the carbs is gonna do a whole lot of nothing.

Comment

Yup, spray cleaner isnt enough here. Time to learn how carbs work.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Good time to rebuild and clean them, sync may not hurt either

Comment

If it ran fine before, new cables are probably not going to fix anything. If it sat in the rain, there is a chance you have allowed water through a dodgy fuel cap or condensation to form in the tank. In any case, pulling the carbs and giving them a proper clean, and cleaning the tank / petcock is much more likely to provide a fix than throwing new cables at it.

Comment

ya im replacing the cables because there all loose and the throttle sticks a littl. but will i need to jet the carb or rebuild them

Comment

Originally posted by kerr4 View Post
              ya im replacing the cables because there all loose and the throttle sticks a littl. but will i need to jet the carb or rebuild them
              Read this very carefully, YOU NEED TO CLEAN THE PILOT JETS. A jet kit has nothing to do with pilot jets. Unless you're leaking fuel or flooding, you don't need to rebuild. To fix what you are complaining about, clean the pilot jets.

Comment

Yeah from the little experience I've got your pilot jets are blocked.

Since it's only been sat for a couple of days it's not going to be fuel gone off but more likely crap that's got through.

Have you checked the condition of your tank and fuel filter, and taking her somewhere where you can open her up and ride with high revs for a bit never does any harm (Once a week I give mine about 1/2 a mile at 11k rpms in 3rd gear just to blow any shit out before it has chance to settle [just in case some does get in]).
                1997 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

I cleaned the carbs spraid the valves with carb cleaner to brake the carbon up now it starts and will run without the choke being on but after it warms up the rpms drop to around 1k and if i touch the throttle it dies and if i turn up the choke it revs up between 6k and 7k and slowly dropes to 5k and sticls till i hit the throttle again then drops back down the only way to get the rpms up eithout it dieing os the choke....im new to bikes and this is kicking my ass iv heard it could be a valve but its not ticking. Please help before i blow it up

Comment

like they said...may be time for a good cleaning.

however, there is something you can try first. I have run into similar problems in the past, and I just add a full bottle of STP injection cleaner to my tank, then I get out on the highway and give it all I can while trying to avoid a speeding ticket. usually once it gets down to half a tank, it starts running a lot better.

not saying it is guaranteed to work, but it's worth a shot before ripping the carbs off.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

check your cables for binding and check the boots at the head and the airbox for air leaks, Do not install a fuel filter or any other air filter other than what was Originally on the bike. Especially K&N or POD type filters.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

.I just cleaned the carbs and put them back on last weekend a finshed putting it all together last night it took a while and a jumper cables from a truck it ran great then started having problems and as for the air filter i just changed to with a cheap aftermarket 1 (by cheap i mean $13) around a month ago the old 1 was jet black and looked like it came stock on the bike from 96 and the air box had oil in it and there was a small amount of oil in the carbs

Comment

if you have oil in your airbox and carbs, it could be a sign of bad rings. blowby will increase pressure in your crankcase and it will blow out your pcv.egr tube.
                          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Oil could be either blowby or over filled. Hanging idle is usually a lean condition or cable hang, choke or throttle. Did you clean and inspect the tank. ANY rust or crap Will clog the pilot jets again, causing a lean condition = hanging idle or no idle. Did you download carb 101 from the WIKI above?
                            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran
                            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

There is some rust in the tank i got what i could out any suggestions how to get it all without taking it to a shop and as for the wiki i have no idea what that is

Comment

Working...
                              X