Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Weird running issue after being stored for a week?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird running issue after being stored for a week?!

Ive been gone lately from the forum, mostly bc the bike is running great and I have been enjoying riding before Its too cold. Got it running great and have put 600 miles on her since sept/oct... But now I have an issue. Its my 1990 GSXF 600 with 28,000 miles

600 miles ago the carbs were completely rebuilt, new needles, gaskets, cleaned completely. I put new a new stock type air filter, NGK plugs and new plug wires, I also did a full coil relay mod. I have advanced the bikes timing roughly 3-4* and has fresh honda 10w40 oil in it (600 miles ago). Bike already had a full V&H supersport exhaust and I sync'd the carbs after all these mods.

About a week ago I shut the bike off and left it outside with a cover and a tarp on it. Mainly bc we were going to get a little random snow storm in NJ. After a week the snow melted and I unwrapped the bike and went to start it today and it was running very differently. I was getting a good bit of smoke out the exhaust (whitish color but may have had a little blue tinge to it) which I would have assumed was oil being burned or condensation. but the Bike was running differently, exhaust seemed empty or off tone than normal. After a min or so I took the choke off and it wouldn't idle higher than 1000-1100rpms like it wanted to die (bringing back memories of before $HIT!) I then smelled gas and looked around while running I saw a drip of gas coming from the bottom of carbs 1 + 2 and going onto the starter and alt. So i shut it down and began to pull the carbs. I couldn't find the leak but it might have been leaking from the plastic T that the fuel line connects to at the carbs to feed 1+2 gas from the petcock.

While I had the carbs off and apart now is a good time to do the FP stage 1 jet kit that i was going to wait till the spring to do... hell why not! So i put the stage 1 kit, 115 jets, Needle has the Cclip at the 3rd position from top, stock pilot jet and all that jaz. I put it all back together and Started it up... ran alittle better but still seems off in the exhaust tone/throttle response. Good news is that it seems like the leak is gone. After a min I took the choke off and the bike still doesn't want to idle higher than 1000-1100 even if I mess with the idle adjuster. I haven't synced the carbs after the jet kit.

What the CR@P could have done wrong in a week of just sitting outside?!
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Ideas for what it's worth...

I had the same problem. It was at least one float needle sticking, causing fuel to run onto the sidewalk. It wouldn't run well enough to drive it to my shop. Ordered new needle and seat kits for the carbs, which fixed it.
    Douglas Derby
    Sturgis ATV and Small Engine Repair

'04 Suzy Kat 600

Comment

How long did you leave her to warm up? I've had an issue with my 750 where condensation builds up in the spark plug wells and she runs like poo till warmed proper. Temperature and conditions play more of a part than most would even consider! Moisture build up in the exhaust, cylinders etc.! Its surprising!
      sigpic

Comment

Did you check for moisture around the spark plugs? It could be that when you get to a certain RPM, one or more plug wires/caps could be arcing to the engine case.
        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Cold weather can cause fuel leaks too! Expansion and contraction of plastic ,rubber and metal components!
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X