X

new member new bike 1990 kat advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member new bike 1990 kat advice

Hi i am a new owner of a gsx750f 1990 model i love it even though the bike needs some TLC ...
    i had to replace the rear brake pistons as they seized so enjoying working on her.
    i have now realised the bike has a ugly yoke job done and i need some advice

ehhhhh these bolts are they upside down they should be nice and shiney but these are hex heads and the fork bolts WTF
    also can anybody tell me what is the fuel settings are on the fuel tap
    there is nothing in in the suzuki manual
    left / up / right is guess up is on but what is reserve i am a bit lost

Last edited by gypsypunk; 11-04-2012, 01:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

HERE ARE THE PICTURE OF THE UGLY HANDLEBARS
    Attached Files

Comment

First your fork tubes are set too low in the tree. What is your question? The socket cap screws? there may be lock nuts on the back side of the screws, Make sure when you disassemble the tree you support the bike well. You can replace the socket cap screws with silver colored ones or paint them as you would the tree. I use high heat paint and set the paint up in the oven, More resistant to scratches. Nice bike btw.. have you a manual? you can download one from the "wiki" above. petcock setting forward=reserve, down=run, back= prime. There is no "off" setting as the fuel in the "run" setting should not flow unless the engine is running.
      Last edited by 92xjunker; 11-04-2012, 01:43 PM.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

His petcock goes left,up,right like mine?!?!

Comment

Then up is run, back is reserve, forward is prime? Your petcock is not right. I have a new 90-97 600/750 petcock and its correct, strange....
          Last edited by 92xjunker; 11-04-2012, 08:00 PM.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

for the petcock, read...

If your petcock does not work exactly like listed there, then it has been modified or re-assembled incorrectly. Arrow straight up/12 oclock position is a good sign someone screwed up their assembly.

As for the "yoke"... It would appear that someone did a home modification to raise the handlebars. You have what, a 1-2" gap between the top plate and where the key inserts? The bolts were probably purchased as a local hardware store, and are simply not coated or painted in an atractive way. In addition, OEM bolts there would have small button caps pressed on to hide them.

If you want to go back original, find a local OEM parts supply place and order the hardware. It's probably not that expensive.

If you were in the US, I'd suggest this site for example...

It's also possible you can find an OEM unmodified top triple with all those parts as well pretty cheap used. Just take the hardware you need from it, or use the best cosmetic parts from both sets. Ebay for example.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I can't tell much from the first photo except that I really like the color scheme.
              From the second photo it looks like either the forks have been dropped too low through the triple tree or that there's a spacer between the top triple tree and the bar riser.

This is a 750, not a 600. The tops of the forks are held in a steel triple-tree bracket and then the aluminum bar-riser bolts down on top of that. (On the 600s the bars are held to the tops of the forks with a clamp sort of arrangement.) The top edges of the forks should be flush with the top surface of the riser, with the adjusters sticking up from there. That positioning would be changed of course if the previous owner had installed some sort of spacer between the triple and the riser and the only way to check that would be to unbolt the riser, remove the spacer(s) and then check the fork height with just the riser bolted on.
              Check here for a good view of the stock setup: http://www.bikebandit.com/1990-suzuk...7888#sch271144

To be sure you're set up right you're going to need to get those four hex-head bolts out. I'd also remove the bars from their clamps on the riser and give that riser some TLC while you're at it. From the looks of it you're going to have to do some sanding to get through the corrosion. Don't forget to cover the metal with some clear-coat before re-installing or the corrosion will come right back worse than ever.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

nice looking kat...well as nice a pre98 can look(still looks better then mine)

Comment

hey thanks for the advice guys just came back to check out my post as i dont think i set up my registration to send reply's by email
                  so really greatfull for the advice
                  my petcock does point down the way so all is good there
                  i will change the handlebar settings back to how they should be this will be a cheap fix and may as well get a better condition yoke .
                  i do have the suzuki service manual ''the blue book'' as the books i downloded are ok but nowhere as informative.
                  as i stay in the uk i like the colour but as most days are grey its not that safe to ride this bike as i have noticed in supermarket car parks.
                  cars just pull out but hey it's a 750cc twist the throttle and they soon get the message.

Comment

Working...
                  X