X

Petcock Leak Cause Washing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock Leak Cause Washing?

I was told by several to perform a carb cleaning after discovering my oil was overfilled and smelled of gas. (Previous thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128233 )

After I pulled the fuel tank I set the tank right side up on a small bucket and found the petcock leaking consistently... drip...drip...drip. When tilted slightly it leaks from the brass fuel supply nipple, and when right side up it leaks off the bottom where the layers are sandwiched. After two hours I had about a 1/4 cup of gas that had dripped out. Hukeedo had a petcock leak that also caused carb fill issues (in conjunction with dirty float needles).

QUESTION: Will this, in and of itself, cause washing? If so, might it be the problem and not float needle issues?

In other words, can I put it back together, change the oil, and ride? Or must I also do the carb cleaning?

(as a novice mechanic, cleaning the carbs appears a tad daunting despite carb 102's guidance).

The bike did not appear to have any issues running, only starting.
    Attached Files
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, with the exception Kat carbs, which should be of infinite complexity." - lowmaintenance

Clean the carbs, they should hold fuel without leaking by, no matter what the petcock setting
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I can have my petcock set on pri and nothing leaks. You have to make sure the needle valves are clean, sealing, and float levels set correctly.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Low, I will say this, I cleaned. My carbs, float needles and all. It's not bad at all. I then bench tested the carbs with a bottle of gas and no leaking. I changed my oil (50 bucks of castrol actevo and a filter and put it all back together and dammit if I didn't have gas in my oil again. Found that my petcock was leaking bad. Called dealer and talked to mechanic. He said kats are notorious for gas washing due to bad vacuum petcocks. No rebuild kit available but new one was 134.00. So I got a 5.00 universal fuel shutoff valve, placed in line and right in the upper left ( sitting on bike) fairing opening for easy access and no more problems. Yea the petcock still needs replaced which I will when I have an extra 134 bucks but IMHO the shut off is something Suzuki should have done to begin with in design. But mechanic also told me that enough gas flowing in will cause washing even with brand new needles. Not trying to undermine what everyone says bout it on here but that's what a Suzuki mechanic told me. I had new needles in mine and floats were in spec btw and still had issue. Get a shut off, I got mine at oreillys, and put new lines and clamps on. Whatever it takes to get the end result is my motto!
        Last edited by hukeedo; 10-24-2012, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Okay, I'll do the carbs. How do I fix the petcock? I read on another thread how it seems to be a non-serviceable unit.

When I do the carbs, do I need an overhaul kit? Bowl gaskets? New needles or just clean and use existing?

The wiki has a nice parts breakdown for prekats (basic medium major) but not as elaborate for post.

btw, that's a nice looking Kat, hukeedo.
          Last edited by lowmaintenance; 10-24-2012, 11:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein.
          "Everything should be made as simple as possible, with the exception Kat carbs, which should be of infinite complexity." - lowmaintenance

Comment

The petcock is not serviceable I was told because no kits are available. Have to replace whole unit. As for the carbs, depends on ur budget. I just got needles in a 17.50 kit off eBay. Gets pricy to buy all the gaskets and orings. Have to shop around. Try cleaning the needles and everything first, but clean everything good, use a soft cloth for the needle tips, mine had white gunk on them. Either way, get a shut off and then there is no way gas can leak when sitting.
            And thanks low! Urs too.
            All hail yellow kats!
            Last edited by hukeedo; 10-24-2012, 11:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by hukeedo View Post
              Low, I will say this, I cleaned. My carbs, float needles and all. It's not bad at all. I then bench tested the carbs with a bottle of gas and no leaking. I changed my oil (50 bucks of castrol actevo and a filter and put it all back together and dammit if I didn't have gas in my oil again. Found that my petcock was leaking bad. Called dealer and talked to mechanic. He said kats are notorious for gas washing due to bad vacuum petcocks. No rebuild kit available but new one was 134.00. So I got a 5.00 universal fuel shutoff valve, placed in line and right in the upper left ( sitting on bike) fairing opening for easy access and no more problems. Yea the petcock still needs replaced which I will when I have an extra 134 bucks but IMHO the shut off is something Suzuki should have done to begin with in design. But mechanic also told me that enough gas flowing in will cause washing even with brand new needles. Not trying to undermine what everyone says bout it on here but that's what a Suzuki mechanic told me. I had new needles in mine and floats were in spec btw and still had issue. Get a shut off, I got mine at oreillys, and put new lines and clamps on. Whatever it takes to get the end result is my motto!
              +1 If your petcock diaphram is shot, It is possible to get fuel into the engine from the vaccum hose. turn the engine over then pull the no. 4 plug see if it's wet
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by hukeedo View Post
                The petcock is not serviceable I was told because no kits are available.
                Yes, the petcock is, indeed, serviceable. Everything but the diaphragm spring is the same in the early petcock rebuild kits.

Comment

Redneck repair on my old Vulcan. Was going to be temporary but it works so good (and cheap) that I will leave it. And I still have reserve!

petcock.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Ronmold View Post
                    Redneck repair on my old Vulcan. Was going to be temporary but it works so good (and cheap) that I will leave it. And I still have reserve!

[ATTACH]24443[/ATTACH]
                    sometimes the repairs are better than the stock parts.
                    you should see all the aftermarket plumbing parts on my uncle's race car. he spent a few hundred bucks (around $800) but you know what? they're fail proof.

Comment

Working...
                    X