X

Petcock Position ?'s

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock Position ?'s

After doin some searchin i found out that the petcock has positions corresponding to 9 o' clock, 6 o' clock and 3 o' clock.
    Arrow front means RES, Arrow Down ON , Arrow back Prime

Now on my 92 750 the positions are 9,12 and 3 O'clock that cant be right...right? So Assuming someone put the knob on wrong i took it off but theres really only one way it goes on bc its keyed...i only ask bc goin down the highway she died on me with it in the 12 oclock position but i was low on fuel...pulled over turned the knob to the 9 oclock (front) waited a sec and she fired right up, if the knob was put on backwards some how than all my positions would be reverse right? 12 on, 9 prime, 3 RES

Its weird i know but i dont get fuel in my oil and my floats are ok i would just like to know instead of trying to guess where to turn it...i have a Pingel Pro Flo for a GSXR worst case scenario i'll see about using it and just having an on/off setting

Sounds like it's upside down. So, prime would be 9 and res would be 3
    Extra life.

Comment

Maybe its upside down in the assembly in the housing below the tank? I just rebuilt the one for my 600 but Always kept the peices in sync with how I took them apart...Never flipping or turning peices without makin a mental note of it... maybe someone rebuilt that one and internaly went backwards azz'd
      92' 600- Bought 4th of July 2012

"Out for my own, Out to be free... One with my mind, they just can't see... No need to hear things that they say... Life's for my own to live my own way!!" Metallica- Escape

Comment

Hmm sounds plausible, id hate to take it apart since it seems to work fine but its gotta be fixed

Comment

Come to think of it I was paying so much attention to keeping things in order, I never noticed if you COULD actually put it together upside down.... my guess would be Yes, but I'm not 100% sure...

"Out for my own, Out to be free... One with my mind, they just can't see... No need to hear things that they say... Life's for my own to live my own way!!" Metallica- Escape

Comment

Soooo????? leave it alone and ride it. Who cares if it's upside down and if it's not leaking?
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
              Soooo????? leave it alone and ride it. Who cares if it's upside down and if it's not leaking?
              He does have a very good point!

Comment

The answer is no, you can not just put the knob on upside down. You can probably put the whole assembly in backwards making the knob go the opposite way. I've never tried, I try not to **** things up.

Comment

Well the assembly isnt backwards, if it was the fairing wouldnt let me get to it...doesnt leak, so i should just leave it? Is it possible its out of another bike that has this rotation of 3,12,9 o'clock

Comment

No duder, we're talking about different assemblies. You mean the whole thing. I mean when you rebuild a petcock you take the assembly that the knob on off. There is a spring in there. I mean THAT assembly. Not the whole thing.

Comment

Gotcha...so when she died on me the other day the position was up(12 oclock) the gas gauge was near the red but not quite there...when exactly do you turn to Res or Pri? 1/4 tank?

Comment

I've never been much of an advocate of using RES. Keep enough gas in the tank and you never need to use RES. If you run out of gas, switch to RES, fire it back up and get your azz to a gas station stat. The only time you need PRI is when the bowls are totally dry.

Comment

I have turned the knob to RES while riding a few times. I don't usually go many miles though before I stop and get gas.
                          Extra life.

Comment

+1. Don't run it that low but if you do then switch it right about when it hits the red to be safe.

Comment

Working...
                            X