X

Axel grease question?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel grease question?

I've done a lot of searching and no finding. Can someone tell me how to properly grease the front axle? I've pulled the tire and am getting the tire mounted on the wheel tomorrow. But can not seem to find any write ups on how to properly regrease.

Also, I will be using coastal all purpose grease. Anyone have any experience with that stuff?

I use similar stuff and have used Coastal before without any problems. I brush a thin coat the entire length of the axle using an acid brush (Cheap, metal tube with bristles at the end. Available in the paint section of Home Depot or at Harbor Freight.) just before assembling everything.

I'd suggest wearing some surgical gloves once you start working with the grease. That way you can take them off as soon as everything's together and not get grease all over your tools. It's the little things...
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I use a marine grease myself, I figure it should hold up better in the wet.

I usually just put a dab on a rag/towel and wipe the axle with it. then use the rag to remove the excess once the axle is inserted.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Okay. Seems like is just a matter of putting a thin nice coat on the axle. I just wasn't sure if there was a method or certain amount I'd need to put on there.

Do I need to lightly coat the inside of the spacer on the right and also what about the inside of the wheel on the left?

Comment

You can. The worse that's going to happen is that the extra grease will get pushed out when you insert the axle.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Coastal for me
            Extra life.

Comment

Sweet. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
              X