X

Anybody familiar with YZF600's?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody familiar with YZF600's?

I know this is a Kat forum, but looking for some insight. I can pick up a 2001 YZF600 for cheap. It's got 8,000 miles, but it's currently making some noise. This is the listing:
    "Great starter bike. New chain, sprockets, and rear brake.

Will need clutch work because its making a weird noise. I read up on it, doesn't seem like it's going to take much to fix but I'm not mechanically inclined and I have two full time jobs.

Email me if you'd like to see pictures. This bike really is perfect for a beginner or someone who just needs something cheap that's good on gas.

I can not and will not hold. I'm renovating a house and I'm in need of the cash."

In talking to him, this is what I've gotten. The noise started immediately after he replaced the clutch cable. It calls it a terrible rattling noise, says it sounds like change in the dryer. He says that sometimes it makes the noise, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's immediately on start-up, other times when you pick the bike up off the kickstand, and other times not until you put it in gear. He says it goes into gear just find. From research he did, he thinks it's one of three things: clutch cable installed incorrectly, cover not bolted on properly, or pressure plate is bad. I don't have much experience with street bikes, but I did grow up riding motocross. I've replaced a clutch cable on a dirtbike. Is there any real way to do it wrong? Any insight at all on what it could be would be greatly appreciated. I can pick it up for $750. If it's something simple that I could fix real cheap, I'd love to get a deal like that. But if it's something that's going to cost me $1000, I'd rather just buy something else.

from the sounds of it he didn't bolt the cover on properly.. not sure how they rout everything on a yzf tho.. the clutch itself should not make a rattling noise, and especially not an on again off again noise like what your describing.. if you do get it i would take the cover off and check to see if any bolts are loose either in the case or the cover. a vibration or clutch sliping would be the clutch :
    if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

He thinks he might have put the sprocket cover back on incorrectly, somehow. The piece in this thread:

Like I said, if it's something simple I could fix easily, I'd love to pick it up. If he put that on wrong, is there anything he could've messed up really? He said he hasn't ridden it more than about 20 yards since it started making the noise, so he wouldn't mess it up further.

Comment

OK so same setup as the Kats.. maybe he got a bolt or two rattling on the inside of the cover.. since he hasn't rode it far at all there SHOULDNT be anything wrong with any of the components.. if it is a bolt rattling inside the cover take a look at all internals. the sprocket could get damaged, as well as the chain (unlikely since the low millage tho) if its just the cover is loose than nothing should be damaged.

if ALL he did was change the cable then that's the list of possibilities.. if he touched other things while in there then who knows.. maybe he tried to tighten the sprocket nut and went the wrong way?
        Last edited by boomer_95; 09-29-2012, 08:59 AM.

Comment

He replaced the chain and sprockets at the same time he did the clutch cable, so my best guess is that it would definitely have to be something relating to the cover or the sprocket itself. Says that's all he's done to it. He admittedly doesn't have a ton of mechanical aptitude.

Comment

ok so that puts a new list lol... check the chain too. if its too loose than it may ratchet on the front sprocket

Comment

I don't know until I check it out, but I'd imagine the chain is okay tightness wise. I'm thinking something with the sprocket, sprocket cover, or possibly that lower clutch adjustment? I can't imagine that it could be anything terribly difficult or expensive to remedy, but that's just my best guess. Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on it or not. If it just took some tinkering and no cash, I'd be into a relatively low mileage bike for $750. I like the idea of that.
              Last edited by nthes28; 09-29-2012, 10:32 AM.

Comment

These bikes are dirt cheap and a dime a dozen. Its funny actually how many people own the 6r (thundercat) and think they own an R6 !

Its normal for the thundercat and early R6 to have some gnarly clutch rattle.

usually it can be elimunated by re peening the rivets on the clutch basket, as well as filing the notches and wear on the clutch basket fingers. Use EBC HD springs with ebc or oem plates.

Im actually doing a complete restore/paint on a 96 YZF600 right now.
                Last edited by hardlydangerous; 09-30-2012, 10:47 AM.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                  These bikes are dirt cheap and a dime a dozen. Its funny actually how many people own the 6r (thundercat) and think they own an R6 !

Its normal for the thundercat and early R6 to have some gnarly clutch rattle.

usually it can be elimunated by re peening the rivets on the clutch basket, as well as filing the notches and wear on the clutch basket fingers. Use EBC HD springs with ebc or oem plates.

Im actually doing a complete restore/paint on a 96 YZF600 right now.
                  Gnarly like change in a dryer? Haha, I don't have any experience with them, but that sounds extreme to me. I've pretty much decided to pass on it, for fear that it may be something in the motor or trans. I never even went to check it out. The guy seems like a straight shooter, I don't think he's out to try to screw anybody (especially with the price), but I'd be in over my head if it was something like that.

Comment

change in the dryer is almost certainly the timing chain adjuster.
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

How extreme of a fix is that? Turns out I'm getting it tomorrow for $300, so I won't mind putting a lIttle into it. Has a big dent in the top of the tank and is missing the front, bottom body work.

Comment

That sounds a bit over my head at the moment. The bike is gettin dropped off tomorrow night for $300. Guy got tired of Craigslist no shows.

Comment

Working...
                        X