What do you guys do when...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys do when...

You come across this [crap]:

That's the cleanest of the 4... XJ650 Maxim.

That's about 1/4" of rust deposit in the bottom of that bowl... "From last year" LOL

The tank doesn't have enough rusty spots in it to make the carbs look like that. The OP either changed the tank, or something shady went on with this bike.

All the jets are also clean. >_<

I already know what *I'm* gona do... just wonder how others take care of this sort of neglect?
    Last edited by Christ; 09-28-2012, 05:18 PM.
    Disclaimer: If what I say seems condescending to you, it's probably not. I don't know (or care) if someone already knows something I'm saying, because for every person that does know, 100 lurkers may not. No offense is intended, but feel free to take it.

2001 Katana 750 'fighter build in progress

I would soak it in a bucket of hot soapy (dawn) water then go after it with a tooth brush for starters. I also have found that the hand held shark steamer works great for cleaning carbs as long as you have a glove on to hold the bodies.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

ATLAS SBC350 Sandblast Cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        LOL. I wish I had one sometimes.
        Disclaimer: If what I say seems condescending to you, it's probably not. I don't know (or care) if someone already knows something I'm saying, because for every person that does know, 100 lurkers may not. No offense is intended, but feel free to take it.

Comment

I wasn't kidding, that is exactly what I'd do.

Comment

I wasn't kidding, that is exactly what I'd do.
            As bad as it looks in the pic, it's not hardened in there. It's just cake rust that, when dried, falls right out.

I usually soak them in carb cleaner, blow 'em out, then boil 'em in Pine-Sol to get the grungy crap off the bodies, then blow 'em out again. These ones I'll probably leave in the parts cleaner awhile before I do anything else.

I'm still wondering how that much crap got in there while the tank doesn't have but maybe 2 small spots of rust in the inside.

Comment

They don't have too look nearly that dirty, I blast all parts of every set of carbs every time. Sorry Berrymans doesn't hold a candle to what a blasted set looks like.

Comment

time to seal the tank...

that crud is coming from somewhere. restore the entire fuel system and this stuff wont come back. the top and sides of the tank that u cant see are likely really rusty
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Yeah, I agree. It has to be coming from somewhere.

Comment

I'm gonna flush the tank out, but I doubt I'm gonna get anything out of it. This just looks really shady, honestly. Especially since all the Jets are clean (not NEW clean, but not as old as the rest of the bike)

Good thing I got the bike nearly free LOL. Motor was set up from fuel washed cylinders. Easy fix.

Someone else just brought up a really good point, so I tried a magnet to it...

It's not rust. :/ That means it's deposits from either evaporated fuel or fuel stabilizer etc.

Arsenic -

What media do you use? I might have just got a lead on a small blast cabinet and the full getup...
                    Last edited by Christ; 09-28-2012, 06:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

80 grit glass bead, you can get 50 lbs boxes from Harbor Freight (hate that ****ing place) for like $48 bucks.

Comment

80 grit glass bead, you can get 50 lbs boxes from Harbor Freight (hate that ****ing place) for like $48 bucks.
                        Sweet. Have you ever tried to recycle media or do you just buy more when you run out?

Comment

No, I've never been cheap enough to try and recycle used glass bead, I go though like 100 lbs every two months or so. More in the spring, less in the fall.

Comment

No, I've never been cheap enough to try and recycle used glass bead, I go though like 100 lbs every two months or so. More in the spring, less in the fall.
                            I don't know if I'd try it or not. I know a guy that "sifts" his sand media and reuses it though, so I might give it a shot someday.

I'm frugal. What can I say?

Comment

Ever try walnut shell? Seems like it'd be kinder to the metal.

Watch out for the corrosion on those carbs. If the bodies look like those bowls you may have some brittle spots. I was working on some really nasty (probably filled with rain water and left that way for a long time) Keihin carbs last spring and two of the carb bodies came apart when I tried to break the pilot jets free.
                              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X