X

>>> Milky Oil 96 katana 750 <<<

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• >>> Milky Oil 96 katana 750 <<<

I was hoping to get some help with the Katana I just purchased. I believe the bike has been sitting stored for a few years before I got it judging by the rust dust that corroded one of the carbs I replaced. I got the bike running but the new oil I refilled the motor with has turned milky very quickly. Here's my question is it possible this could be a problem from the bike sitting for so long? Here some detailed info of bike it has 5,565 miles, I purchased it on 9-01-12 I got it started for the first time 9-26-12. The chain is pretty rusted and the tags have not been updated since 2009. The motor was also locked when I got it. Thanks!

what did you do to it ? did you do a thorough inspection and service or just change the oil ?

Comment

Been that long then needs lots of work. Engine will get condensation over time. Change oil again. You got a list of things. Do a thorough walk through.

Comment

Gas overflowing into the crank will also do that.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by arminius View Post
          what did you do to it ? did you do a thorough inspection and service or just change the oil ?
          Through research I did the following
          Cleaned and replaced carbs
          Put sea foam down spark plug holes
          Checked compression 3 cylinders read 150 psi cylinder #4 read 60 psi
          Manually turned motor
          Drained and replaced oil
          Started engine

Bike is now turning engine oil milky really fast
          Bike is also blowing white smoke through exhaust pipe and front of engine
          I'm thinking engine overhaul is in order

Originally posted by uncltommy77 View Post
          Been that long then needs lots of work. Engine will get condensation over time. Change oil again. You got a list of things. Do a thorough walk through.
          I was thinking engine condensation as well. However is it possible fuel can be mixing with oil?

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
          Gas overflowing into the crank will also do that.
          Yeah I'm wondering what's more cost efficient engine overhaul or engine swap?
          Last edited by 4EVER1; 09-28-2012, 10:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If it's blowing white smoke, I'm more inclined to go with condensation then fuel in the oil.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              If it's blowing white smoke, I'm more inclined to go with condensation then fuel in the oil.
              Condensation is something that should pass right? I was thinking that the white smoke was do to oil be burned.

Comment

Originally posted by 4EVER1 View Post
                Through research I did the following
                Cleaned and replaced carbs
                Put sea foam down spark plug holes

This will make it blow white smoke, also could be condensation. Do another oil change and see what it looks and smells like.
                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by 4EVER1 View Post
                  Condensation is something that should pass right? I was thinking that the white smoke was do to oil be burned.
                  If it was burning oil, the smoke would be more blueish in color. White smoke = water/condensation, black = fuel/you're running rich as all get out.

Comment

How was the gas tank ? Was it washed out ? // run the bike for a tank and change the oil it might be that week cyl fouling and leaking down .

Comment

Once again thanks everyone for your time. I will change oil again. I did clean the tank with vinegar, ice, baking soda. Then wd40. If the engine has condensation will that clear up on its own or should i start looking for another engine?

Comment

If it truly is condensation, ride it or let it run and see what happens. If you're set on looking for another engine, (which I don't think you need to) you really have nothing to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                          If it truly is condensation, ride it or let it run and see what happens. If you're set on looking for another engine, (which I don't think you need to) you really have nothing to lose.
                          Great, If it's not broke I don't wanna fix it I will run it for a little while and see what happens. Thanks.

Comment

I'm sure once you've got the engine nice and hot a few times it'll be fine. My bike turns its oil milky in damp weather and short runs but clears on a longer jaunt! I wouldn't worry.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X