X

need help with my air filter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with my air filter

just bout my first bike(2000 gsx600f) and it has some problems. i want to replace the air filter, fuel filter, and clutch. also probably have to clean the carbs. never worked on a bike so i need tons of help. i dont want to mess anything up. if you live anywhere escondido in san diego ill even pay you to help me out hands on.

This link is for the service manual
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Air filter and fuel filter are both extremely easy.I don't have any experience with the clutch, but when it comes to carbs its all about experience its hard to **** it up, you might have to do it twice and it might take time but it's not a HARD thing to do.Look up carbs 102 for that

Comment

Originally posted by niko44 View Post
        but when it comes to carbs its all about experience its hard to **** it up
        Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          Seriously?
          What I meant is that it's hard to **** something up permanently, which is the reason why I would tell him to not be too hesitant to do it :P.

Comment

Originally posted by niko44 View Post
            What I meant is that it's hard to **** something up permanently, which is the reason why I would tell him to not be too hesitant to do it :P.
            I dunno man, it's pretty easy to round off some of those little screws if you've never turned a wrench before.

Although if you're using a wrench on the carbs, you probably shouldn't be messing with them at all.

Comment

Carbs are really easy to screw up. All you have to do is try to hurry things or take shortcuts. All you have to do to get carbs right is to go step by step, take your time and pay close attention to the details. None of those are human nature, though and that's why guys like Arsenic and me can make money rebuilding them.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by mykat View Post
                Although if you're using a wrench on the carbs, you probably shouldn't be messing with them at all.
                I use an 8mm box end all the time. On both pre and post carbs. Twice on pre, 4 times on post carbs.

Comment

thanks 92xjunker for the service manual helped me out alot. never worked on a bike but so far i got the airbox out and am hesitant about starting on the carbs. time to learn i guess. any advice on cleaning the carbs/replacing the clutch?

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaTKing View Post
                    thanks 92xjunker for the service manual helped me out alot. never worked on a bike but so far i got the airbox out and am hesitant about starting on the carbs. time to learn i guess. any advice on cleaning the carbs/replacing the clutch?
                    Look up carbs 102 and follow it carefully,also plan on dipping the bodies + spraying them with carb cleaner after.Don't rush things and if you are unsure of something, ASK!!!

PSon't overtighten float bowl drain screw :P

Comment

Except the part about the A/F screw being 1.75 turns out. That's wrong. They should be 2.5 turns out.

Comment

Except the part about the A/F screw being 1.75 turns out. That's wrong. They should be 2.5 turns out.
                        True, also a few other things that are not really mentioned in carbs 102(as a guy who did it recently following it and realized it :P), you have to take off the TPS on the 4th carb to be able to dip it(once its taken off there's a rubber piece/plug and a metal o ring after the rubber.Oh and when reassembling the carbs be very careful when putting the springs back on...if they fly off you might not be as lucky as me and find it 3 times in a huge garage haha.

Comment

There's actually 2 rubber pieces in there. It goes TPS, large rubber seal on the TPS. Metal washer, small rubber seal on the throttle shaft. But there are those small rubber seals on each side of every throttle shaft. If you guy where taking the throttle shafts out to dip the carbs, there would be a lot more stupid questions.

Comment

There's actually 2 rubber pieces in there. It goes TPS, large rubber seal on the TPS. Metal washer, small rubber seal on the throttle shaft. But there are those small rubber seals on each side of every throttle shaft. If you guy where taking the throttle shafts out to dip the carbs, there would be a lot more stupid questions.
                            Hmm if not really necessary then i guess it's a nonissue

Comment

Working...
                            X