Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Want more comfortable handlebars and don't have $400 and you have a post 750...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want more comfortable handlebars and don't have $400 and you have a post 750...

I decided that I wanted a more upright riding position on my 2005 Kat 750 so I bought a few things:
    1. Renthal Road Low 7/8 handlebars $52 http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...andlebars.aspx
    2. 18in SS brake line $36 http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...rake-Line.aspx
    3. Risers $30 [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OP39US/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00"]Universial Motorcycle Bar Handlebar Mounts Riser Clamp 7/8" Standard : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]
    4. 1/2 Washers from Lowes (6) $1.50 (You need these so that you have enough clearance for your key)
    This does require some drilling. You have to drill a few holes in the handlebar itself for the controls and the triple tree needs a little drilling. The original clip-on bolts are not 1/2" bolts. The risers come with 1/2" bolts so you need to make the holes a little bigger.

You will have to move the throttle cable(s) so that they route on the inside of the fork instead of the outside (closer to the windscreen)
    If you're mechanically inclined this probably will take you about 45 minutes. If your inept like me, you're looking at 1-2 hours depending on your lack of mechanical ability.

The Renthal bars seem to have something inside them as if you look inside the bar end you'll see a red plug. Hopefully this will lessen vibration.

Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

I definitely would not say you are inept if you can pull this off. Speed of the job does not mean a thing. Looks good. How are the vibrations now?
    Ride like it's your last ride
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFury View Post
      I definitely would not say you are inept if you can pull this off. Speed of the job does not mean a thing. Looks good. How are the vibrations now?

I went for a very short ride and didn't feel any vibration. Raining now, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to give it a longer test ride.

Comment

Id put the crossbar back on. They arent that strong with out it. Yes I know they aren't going to be put through the strain as they would on a dirt bike it will also give you a place to mount a how or something.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffer949 View Post
          Id put the crossbar back on. They arent that strong with out it. Yes I know they aren't going to be put through the strain as they would on a dirt bike it will also give you a place to mount a how or something.
          This particular bar doesn't come with a crossbar. I didn't take anything off of it.

Comment

does this mod make you more upright? Please update after a longer ride.

Comment

Nice work. It reminds me of the position you'd get on a new 1250F (Bandit) I sat on recently at a dealership. Comfy for sure.
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Just finished a 50 mile jaunt on the bike. Very comfy, very little vibration (less than original clip-ons). There's definitely some kind of vibration dampering built into these bars. If I had longer arms the comfort of the new bars would be perfect. As it is, I definitely feel a big difference in comfort. I don't need to get bar-end mirrors either. it just took some slight adjustment and the stock ones work fine. I will probably get a Zero-Gravity sport touring windscreen to help with the wind, but other than that very pleased. If you're taller than 5'10" I probably wouldn't recommend this mod as you're going to be sitting rather tall and will get pummelled by the wind unless you make some windscreen mods above getting a sport touring screen.

Comment

Most mounts are adjustable, as in the bolt position is offset. could you flip them around?

Comment

How do the clip-ons come off a Katana. I have an 89 750.

Comment

Originally posted by TripleKing View Post
                      How do the clip-ons come off a Katana. I have an 89 750.
                      Remove the two bolts and pull them off.
                      First motorcycle - new project
                      1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

What is the difference in "Road Low" & "road High" Renthal bars...? I assume the angle is different from the rise from the center of the bar to the ends...?

How does the "low/High" affect the handling, &/or position of the rider's hands/control locations?
                        '94 GSX750F StreetFighter
                        ***Under Con/(de)struction***

Comment

Differece Between Renthal High & Low Bars

Originally posted by Kat_Bobber94 View Post
                          What is the difference in "Road Low" & "road High" Renthal bars...? I assume the angle is different from the rise from the center of the bar to the ends...?

How does the "low/High" affect the handling, &/or position of the rider's hands/control locations?
                          The high bars are about 50cm higher and have about 20cm less pull back. There are some other smaller differences, but those are the big ones. There is a nice diagram on their site: http://www.renthalroad.com/File/prod...andlebars.aspx

The highers bars are generally considered more comfortable because you are siting in a more upright position. This does come at the cost of raising the center of gravity which hurts handling. The difference between the high and low bars will probably be negligible. But, the difference between the high bars and the stock clip-ons will probably be noticeable.
                          2006 Katana 750 (GSX750F)
                          Previous Rides:
                          1985 Honda VF1100S V65 Sabre
                          1980 Yamaha XS850LG Midnight Special
                          2004 Kawasaki EX250R (Ninja 250)

Comment

triple you got to take the pinch bolts all the way out ,the clip-on has a notch in it where the the pinch bolt goes thru

Comment

I'm definitely going to do this at some point!
                              92 GSX600F Streetfighter
                              98 F250 6 inch lift 37 inch mud Grapplers
                              96 Corolla DX
                              83 Yamaha Virago 920

Comment

Working...
                              X