Long Term Problem: Whining noise independent of engine speed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Term Problem: Whining noise independent of engine speed

Hello All,

I've had a problem for a looong time (~8 years) on my Kat that I've always ignored, but I've decided enough's enough, I want to get it fixed.

Basically, I hear a whirring noise that is proportional to my wheel speed. I cannot tell if it's coming directly beneath me or from the front wheel (I'm pretty sure it's not coming from behind me). I also cannot determine if it's left or right side. The bike otherwise runs extremely well.

It happens when the bike is in neutral (and even if you turn OFF the bike while coasting). It occurred both before and after I've replaced my chain, brakes, calipers, and other maintenance. The bike has 38k miles on it, I put 32k of those miles on it.

I have *not* changed my sprockets, done any transmission, clutch, or starter work.

The problem has not gotten worse or better with time.

I'm guessing it's the speedo, as a problem with the wheel bearing probably would have gotten worse over time.
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Crackshot; 09-06-2012, 01:55 PM.

It may also be your front fender. I have one that whines as bit and one that "whooshes" and both are air flow around and through the fender.
    Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

just a shot in the dark to be honest, others might have better insight/advice or better yet more experience..... But could it be your front wheel bearings?

Kinda makes me curious about that since you say it goes along with wheel speed.....
      92' 600- Bought 4th of July 2012

"Out for my own, Out to be free... One with my mind, they just can't see... No need to hear things that they say... Life's for my own to live my own way!!" Metallica- Escape

Comment

You said you have not changed the sprockets...you mean you've put 32k miles on a sprocket set? If so that's the first place i would look.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Bafaerie, I hadn't considered that! I have had bolts periodically fall out... however, the whirring noise is constant, even when turning. Also, It happens at lower speed ~15-20mph and gets louder as I approach 45 or 50 - but once I hit 60 or 70 I can no longer hear it.

Doc - I did consider that, but I I'm guessing that the wheel bearings would have gotten worse over time.

scottynoface - That's a good idea. I'm due for a new chain, so I might as well put new sprockets on too.
          Last edited by Crackshot; 09-06-2012, 02:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Gsxf Jim makes some sweet sprockets...
            And you may want to double check the wheel bearings, just to be safe...
            And my chain made a whine noise before it started making clicking sounds as the links bound up...
            1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
            1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
            Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

Sprockets or wheel bearing is where id look first..
              I'm outa here

Comment

Working...
              X