X

material thickness for the swingarms?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• material thickness for the swingarms?

Does anyone know off the top of there heads the gauge of the material of the swingarms? 12g,14g??

Originally posted by DaBears View Post
    Does anyone know off the top of there heads the gauge of the material of the swingarms? 12g,14g??

It's metric, so it won't have an exact "standard gauge" equivilent. The closest is going to be 14 guage.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well I measured the swingarm with a digital caliper(mitutoyo) to be brand specific and got .077 and 14ga= .076 so I think I have a winner! Good thing I work in a metal fab shop as a welder and my boss is cool as hell and my buddy runs a brake press(bender). I'll be fab'in up some 5" or 6" extensions tomorrow!

Comment

Well I measured the swingarm with a digital caliper(mitutoyo) to be brand specific and got .077 and 14ga= .076 so I think I have a winner! Good thing I work in a metal fab shop as a welder and my boss is cool as hell and my buddy runs a brake press(bender). I'll be fab'in up some 5" or 6" extensions tomorrow!
        Didn't know how close your tolerances needed to be. AFAIK, it's supposed to be .078 or 2mm. Pre and post vary very slightly though for the box dimensions. 30x70ish... something like that. Just in case somone else asks you to make some for them, be aware of that. 14ga should work just fine for your purposes though.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

LOL man your good krey cause I measured 2.76x1.178 roughly 30x70 the tricky part is having to factor in the bend deduction so I can cut just the right size piece of flat stock to be bent

Comment

Got the 6" extensions bent and welded now I'm trying to decided if I wanna hack my original SA or ebay one and chop at that.

Krey, when you cut yours to widen them I noticed that your welder just butt welds the ends together right? Have you had any issues with strength?? Just curious because I was also just gonna cut and weld together but was thinking about also making a sleeve the two ends can slide over and weld it that way for added strength...idk I'm on the fence...Fwiw I do have stainless fill wire at work that I could use to tig the arm back together
            Attached Files

Comment

Got the 6" extensions bent and welded now I'm trying to decided if I wanna hack my original SA or ebay one and chop at that.

Krey, when you cut yours to widen them I noticed that your welder just butt welds the ends together right? Have you had any issues with strength?? Just curious because I was also just gonna cut and weld together but was thinking about also making a sleeve the two ends can slide over and weld it that way for added strength...idk I'm on the fence...Fwiw I do have stainless fill wire at work that I could use to tig the arm back together
              Why go through all that trouble when you could just use some gorilla glue? That's how I'd have done it.

Comment

Since your a welder for a living, this should be a walk in the park. Especially if you plan to TIG weld everything. When I modified my swingarm, I left a 3/32 root opening on all welds. Keyhole for full penetration weld, but I did not use any stainless filler. If you are going to use stainless filler, you will have to change it up a little though

Comment

Yes I was going to sleeve the inside(like they do for roll cages for strength) I wasn't saying its hard I just wanna do it right cause its my *** on it literally!
                  Last edited by DaBears; 09-07-2012, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 92GSX750 View Post
                    Since your a welder for a living, this should be a walk in the park. Especially if you plan to TIG weld everything. When I modified my swingarm, I left a 3/32 root opening on all welds. Keyhole for full penetration weld, but I did not use any stainless filler. If you are going to use stainless filler, you will have to change it up a little though
                    Ah yes a fellow welder I see, what's your specialty? I mostly Tig aluminum but we also tig stainless and carbon steel. I absolutely love my job man couldn't have asked for a better job...well I guess pro athlete could top it

Comment

So far, all my testing, and inspection on in use items has shown no issues on the butt welding using Tig. If you wanna make sure, then obviously sleaving would be significantly stronger. I've not seen that it's nessasary, but I also no reason you shoulnd't do it if it makes you feel more comfortable with the modification.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by mykat View Post
                        Why go through all that trouble when you could just use some gorilla glue? That's how I'd have done it.
                        KR Spirit Award
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Ah yes a fellow welder I see, what's your specialty? I mostly Tig aluminum but we also tig stainless and carbon steel. I absolutely love my job man couldn't have asked for a better job...well I guess pro athlete could top it
                          Same here. TIG welding is what I'm best at. Where I work, half the shop is a machine shop. So, I get a lot of little precision jobs which I love. Lots of stainless and aluminum here lately. I wish I could TIG all day, but sadly there is a bunch of MIG and STICK jobs that come in off the streets

Comment

Finally got my swingarm extended, only took 3hrs! i decided to add inner sleeves for added security and strength, it was a pain but well worth it! I also have extra 6" blocks that i made if anyone is interested
                            Attached Files

Comment

Do you typically have to worry about the metal near the welds weakening from the heat?

Just a general welding question.

Comment

Working...
                              X