X

Is this bad?? massive oil leak!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this bad?? massive oil leak!!!

finally got my post running smooth and really strong. starts and idles like a champ. took it for a longer spin today and decided to do an extended highway run. didnt go much above 75-80 for roughly 30 miles. ran great and smooth. stopped for a quick stretch and saw a puff of smoke come up from the handlebars. i saw a bunch of oil under the bike (only after like 1 min) and noticed my right shoe was covered in oil along with my fairing,heal guard,exhaust, and back brakes...looked at the front of the engine and saw oil literally dripping from the head gasket area as well as the crankcase seam. its got 27k on it and woulda lasted longer than this...Am i better off cutting my losses and move on or is this a major job?

not too sure about that but i would check gaskets. valve cover, sig gen cover and the oil lines that go to the valve cover's o rings. Maybe oil filter and plug if you changed it recently. That kinda scarry!
    Sure hope you figure it out and def glad you made it home safely leaking all that oil everywhere!
    "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

Comment

Never had the problem.....but it sounds as if it might be the oil cooler line/s. No way a head gasket would flow that much oil. It might be a simple fix.
      Edit: check the connections and lines for any cracks.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Get the fairing off and get in there and take a good look, could just be the gasket is toast which is cheap.

You haven't done a valve adjustment lately have you? Could be the gasket was out of it's track when you put it back to together. I did it once and just idling in the garage it made quite a mess.

BTW with 72K miles I will still using the stock gasket with out issues.
        Kyle

Comment

just changed the cover gasket and replaced the seal on a plug at the side of the oil pan. was just strange that its all located between the head and crank. sure am glad i found it when i did. when i stopped at the end of the ramp i basically had to stand on the rear brake to slow down. now i know why.. its covered in oil!!! ill check more closely when its light out and remove all the plastic yet again ( big bath is in order)

Comment

ya! just park it in a tub of oil sorb! JK
            Like Slo says, its more than likely an easky fix. I bet you take the fairings off and say "ahh crap"...
            "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

Comment

Ted has had the oil lines come loose in the past, with the same end result. Vibration issue, it's a good place to start...

Comment

Originally posted by Toyfan View Post
                just changed the cover gasket and replaced the seal on a plug at the side of the oil pan. was just strange that its all located between the head and crank. sure am glad i found it when i did. when i stopped at the end of the ramp i basically had to stand on the rear brake to slow down. now i know why.. its covered in oil!!! ill check more closely when its light out and remove all the plastic yet again ( big bath is in order)

You shouldn't be relying so much on your rear brake in the first place - 75% of your stopping power comes from the front.

Not a good habit to get into, because the rear wheel will lock up really easily if you brake too hard with it. I speak from experience there.

Comment

Ditto on the oil cooler and lines,clean up and re run and see where the leak is....
                  I'm outa here

Comment

Originally posted by Toyfan View Post
                    just changed the cover gasket and replaced the seal on a plug at the side of the oil pan.
                    Did you torque all the bolts to spec? Vibrations are a killer on bikes. Had a Harley a while back changed the pegs,didnt torque them to spec, was riding and off flys the right foot peg.
                    Ride like it's your last ride
                    sigpic

Comment

I vote oil cooler line... OR a small hole in the oil cooler itself... when riding the wind wouldve blown it back onto the engine. But check the right oil cooler line connection.
                      "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time!" - Tolstoy

Comment

well, i just took the fairings off and fired her up...hmmm... the oil lines at the back of the head were loose. i know i tightened those and even double checked them. dripping pretty good, but, how in the world would all that oil get on the front of the engine? the cooler and lines are snug and not leaking at all. plus i tipped the bike up vertical to check oil level...and NONE was visible in the window!!! WOW !!! glad i stopped when i did!!

Comment

ya,i would sa cooler lines,as well.good luck

Comment

Working...
                          X