X

Cannot get bike to increase RPMs above 1000

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot get bike to increase RPMs above 1000

1991 Katana 750. This bike was owned by my brother, and stored for years (3-4). I had the carbs torn down and cleaned, replaced battery, gave it a full once over, replaced some cables, etc. Bike was running fairly well, but was not idling perfectly. I played with the idle adj screw a bunch, but it was tricky to nail down.

During this time my wife got pregnant. As pregnant wives seem to go, she was not too keen on my riding and I left it garaged for a few months (3-4). Finally got around to getting back on it today. Battery was a little low so I connected it to the car with jumper cables, and she fired up. At first it was revving up all the way, I was keeping it around 3k to get some gas through it. I am sure I flooded the carbs as there was some gas leaking / pooling below.

After I got the cables off, I fired it up again and it was only giving me 500-1000 rpm, and that is with throttle at 1/2 - 3/4, otherwise it would die. I ran it here (note, no more gas leaking) for 10-15 mins, but no change. Choke did not seem to have an effect.

Any advice? I am somewhere in the low intermediate (or perhaps advanced beginner) on wrenching, tearing down the carbs is probably just beyond me, but I have a decent tool set and can certainly troubleshoot it.

Thanks!

Carbs need cleaned, fix leaky or dirty float needles, replace spark plugs. Oh and probably fresh oil because it probably is fuel contaminated.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Make sure your gas tank doesn't have rust and/or sediment in it. That will make the carbs dirty all over again. Like it just did. If you feel rebuilding carbs is beyond your skill level, send me a PM.
      [ame="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190709687593&ssPageNam e=STRK:MESE:IT"]carburetors carbs Suzuki GSX750F Katana 750 89-97[/ame]
      Last edited by arsenic; 09-03-2012, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
        Carbs need cleaned, fix leaky or dirty float needles, replace spark plugs. Oh and probably fresh oil because it probably is fuel contaminated.
        Why would the oil be contaminated? That does not make sense to me.

Good thought on checking the tank. I believe I looked at it, but cannot be certain, it was some months back. Sounds like both of you agree that the carbs need to be cleaned. As a rule of thumb, what duration can the bike sit without the carbs needing to be cleaned?

Arsenic, PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by wilked View Post
          As a rule of thumb, what duration can the bike sit without the carbs needing to be cleaned?
          Depends if the tank is clean or not. Also it depends on weather the fuel is treated, how it's stored. lots of factors. I'd check them anytime it sat for a few months. Like store it for the winter, check the carbs. That's just me, carbs are what I do.
          Last edited by arsenic; 09-03-2012, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Why would the oil be contaminated? That does not make sense to me.

Good thought on checking the tank. I believe I looked at it, but cannot be certain, it was some months back. Sounds like both of you agree that the carbs need to be cleaned. As a rule of thumb, what duration can the bike sit without the carbs needing to be cleaned?

Arsenic, PM sent

Fuel contaminated by leaking into the cylinders, past the rings, into the crankcase. Check the oil level and smell it.
            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

1991 Katana 750. This bike was owned by my brother, and stored for years (3-4). I had the carbs torn down and cleaned, replaced battery, gave it a full once over, replaced some cables, etc. Bike was running fairly well, but was not idling perfectly. I played with the idle adj screw a bunch, but it was tricky to nail down.

During this time my wife got pregnant. As pregnant wives seem to go, she was not too keen on my riding and I left it garaged for a few months (3-4). Finally got around to getting back on it today. Battery was a little low so I connected it to the car with jumper cables, and she fired up. At first it was revving up all the way, I was keeping it around 3k to get some gas through it. I am sure I flooded the carbs as there was some gas leaking / pooling below.

After I got the cables off, I fired it up again and it was only giving me 500-1000 rpm, and that is with throttle at 1/2 - 3/4, otherwise it would die. I ran it here (note, no more gas leaking) for 10-15 mins, but no change. Choke did not seem to have an effect.

Any advice? I am somewhere in the low intermediate (or perhaps advanced beginner) on wrenching, tearing down the carbs is probably just beyond me, but I have a decent tool set and can certainly troubleshoot it.

Thanks!
              how does it run with the cables hooked back up? car not running of course. alt not charging?
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
              X