Idling Issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idling Issue

Hey folks,

Been a while since I posted. I live without to much free time so my work on the bike is once a blue moon. Here I am though.

Haven't had the bike on the rode yet but I have had the tank cleaned and coated by a local shop.

I read the carb 101 stick and Chem-tooled the carbs (including drilling out the air/fuel brass) and replaced necessary parts i.e. float bowl gaskets, o-rings, float needles and such. I have bench synced the carbs and now am having idle issues.

One, I have to hold my choke lever during the warm-up process as it will not retain the setting i.e full choke half choke etc. (i don't know how to fix that)

But after warming up, five minutes of full choke, I can close the choke and the bike will idle. However, with the idle screw all the way in (max idle screw clockwise) the bike idles around 800-900 rpm and when i try to rev the bike there is a slight delay in the rev.

What ya think?

Originally posted by kg03 View Post
    Hey folks,

Been a while since I posted. I live without to much free time so my work on the bike is once a blue moon. Here I am though.

Haven't had the bike on the rode yet but I have had the tank cleaned and coated by a local shop.

I read the carb 101 stick and Chem-tooled the carbs (including drilling out the air/fuel brass) and replaced necessary parts i.e. float bowl gaskets, o-rings, float needles and such. I have bench synced the carbs and now am having idle issues.

One, I have to hold my choke lever during the warm-up process as it will not retain the setting i.e full choke half choke etc. (i don't know how to fix that)

But after warming up, five minutes of full choke, I can close the choke and the bike will idle. However, with the idle screw all the way in (max idle screw clockwise) the bike idles around 800-900 rpm and when i try to rev the bike there is a slight delay in the rev.

What ya think?
    Loosen the left pod, move it closer to the clutch perch, tighen it down... will create the resistance you need for the choke to hold position.

As for the idle issue... did you bench sync the carbs with the idle adjustment screw all the way out to start with?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

No, the idle adjustment screw was suppose to be screwed in to per the CARB 101 sticky

"(There are three small holes – familiarize yourself with them.) Look at carb # 3 and adjust the idle cable until the first small hole (towards the outside of the carbs) on the bottom of the carbs is HALF VISIBLE. "

Was I suppose to bench sync the carbs without screwing in the idle adjustment cable?

Comment

Someone, Please help truly at my wits end.

Comment

Originally posted by kg03 View Post
          Someone, Please help truly at my wits end.

Sorry, missed your prior response.

I don't use that method for bench sync personally. I prefer to use some pieces of same size wire (or paper clips for example) and back the idle adjuster all the way out.

Then starting with #3, bench sync so that all 4 plates have the same gap, using the wire to check with. If #3 is sitting on 1 wire, then the other 3 should have some resistance, but inserting the wire under them should not allow the wire to be loose under #3.

Make it much closer than the "visual" adjustments for me.

After that, I would suggest you double check the throttle plates will fully close. Once they are all "equal" you should be able to completely close all 4 and not have them catch or bind. No clicking when you open them, or nothing to keep them from closeing all the way.

Then adjust the idle so it's just barely touching the throttle stop plate.

Instal on bike, start the bike, adjust the idle up with the idle adjust cable, and sync the carbs with a sync tool at 1800 rpms.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
          X