X

Left front fork leaking oil...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left front fork leaking oil...

So I just got on my bike, ready to ride, and I noticed a bit of oil on the ground. After futher inspection my left front fork is leaking oil.

1.) What are the ramifications of riding it as it is temporarily? Either to get it home or get it to a shop to have it fixed.

2.) What is the estimated cost of fixing this? Time/parts/etc? Should I fix the other front fork as well?

3.) Anyone know anyone who can do this for me in the Indianapolis or Fort Wayne area (pending I can ride it home)? I'm going to TN on sept 27th and I NEED this taken care of. Worst case I'll find a shop around here.

4.) I've been having a real bad wobble at 50mph... could this be the issue?

Thank you for your help!
    Last edited by IndyGunner; 08-23-2012, 02:17 PM.

TMOD is the Katrider suspension guru.. PM him and he can give you some info. (Just found this out a couple days ago and already get to pass on the knowledge )
    Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

riding it for a few miles won't do much damage Ed. It'll need bushings by now anyway, so you may as well pony up for a complete rebuild on both and just give yourself the peace of mind anyway since you are heading south. I don't know anyone local I would trust with forks, and I have yet to tackle my own, so I am of no help finding you someone to do it unfortunately. Get on a local Indy board and see who the go-to guy is, if there is one...there has to be a few guys down that way that can be trusted, maybe Paul even knows a trackday buddy from the area he could hook you up with maybe.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

The key is where is it leaking from? Is it a drain screw that can be tightened? It is seeping out of the seals where the tube go together? coming out of where they clamp to the axle?

If you have basic tools and facilities, you should be able to fix it yourself. Seals run 20-30ish and fluid isn't very expensive.

Riding it the way it is, you could notice a difference in handling, specifically when turning. I'd worry about it getting worse on the trip (how far do you need to ride to get it home), and if it's going to get on your tire(s). If you are careful you can probably limp it for a ways in relative safety.
        Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IndyGunner View Post
          4.) I've been having a real bad wobble at 50mph... could this be the issue?
          Potentially - double-check your steering bearings, and isolate worn tires as a contributing factor if you can. As the oil leaks out the fork does less "damping" and more "pogo-ing." After rebuilding the forks on my cousin's GS500 it was night/day difference in the stability (before: wobble at anything > 30 mph. After: straight as an arrow). He got new tires that day too, but the ones that were on it were more old than worn.

If you want you can bring it over to me and we'll knock it out in an easy Saturday afternoon (Franklin), or download the service manual from the Wiki and knock it out yourself. Fork seals aren't that big of a pain (I've not done a Katana, but the concept is basically the same - my experience for fork seals is on an 83 Honda and an 89 GS500 - Kat fork construction based on the manual appears nearly identical to the GS500).

Do both forks at once if you're going to do it.

Oil seals are ~$20 each ($18.67 at bikebandit)
          Dust seals are about the same ($17.82). It's not recommended, but you can reuse the dust seals if they're in good shape, the oil seal is the important part. Not sure on your mileage, but if it's high you might want to also invest in new bushings ($11.55 and $17.14 respectively, all parts priced from the '00 GSX600F fiche on BikeBandit).

So, if you do it ALL you're looking at:
          + oil PER fork (65.18 each plus oil)

BARE MINUMUM is the oil seals at 18.67 each, or 37ish total (prices may vary, adjust for shipping/tax, etc.

Really, Really ought to take care of this before you ride down to TN, but you're not going to immediately crash/burn/die if you don't take care of this right this second.

ETA:
          There may be some other small misc. parts as well, plus if your springs are shot (won't know till it's apart) it's more in parts, though it's not too hard to swap springs out later if you need it back on the road. I'll be the first to admit that I'm no professional mechanic (programmer by trade, mechanic by hobby), and largely an unknown around the motorcycle scene. Just so I'm upfront ya know. TMod is definitely the expert 'round here.
          Last edited by Squisher; 08-23-2012, 02:35 PM. Reason: more info
          Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
          H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
            riding it for a few miles won't do much damage Ed. It'll need bushings by now anyway, so you may as well pony up for a complete rebuild on both and just give yourself the peace of mind anyway since you are heading south. I don't know anyone local I would trust with forks, and I have yet to tackle my own, so I am of no help finding you someone to do it unfortunately. Get on a local Indy board and see who the go-to guy is, if there is one...there has to be a few guys down that way that can be trusted, maybe Paul even knows a trackday buddy from the area he could hook you up with maybe.

Thanks man Ill do that. Unfortunately Im gonig to have to shell out some major cash for both of them, AND a suit, AND boots, AND a helmet, AND a brake bleed, AND a new jacked (my zipper ripped off), AND whatever I need to fix this front wheel wobble @50mph.

Originally posted by Squisher View Post
            Bring it over to me and we'll knock it out in an easy Saturday afternoon (Franklin), or download the service manual from the Wiki and knock it out yourself. Fork seals aren't that big of a pain (I've not done a Katana, but the concept is basically the same - my experience for fork seals is on an 83 Honda and an 89 GS500 - Kat fork construction based on the manual appears nearly identical to the GS500).

Do both forks at once if you're going to do it.

Oil seals are ~$20 each ($18.67 at bikebandit)
            Dust seals are about the same ($17.82). It's not recommended, but you can reuse the dust seals if they're in good shape, the oil seal is the important part. Not sure on your mileage, but if it's high you might want to also invest in new bushings ($11.55 and $17.14 respectively, all parts priced from the '00 GSX600F fiche on BikeBandit).

So, if you do it ALL you're looking at:
            + oil PER fork (65.18 each plus oil)

BARE MINUMUM is the oil seals at 18.67 each, or 37ish total (prices may vary, adjust for shipping/tax, etc.

Really, Really ought to take care of this before you ride down to TN, but you're not going to immediately crash/burn/die if you don't take care of this right this second.

ETA:
            There may be some other small misc. parts as well, plus if your springs are shot (won't know till it's apart) it's more in parts, though it's not too hard to swap springs out later if you need it back on the road. I'll be the first to admit that I'm no professional mechanic (programmer by trade, mechanic by hobby), and largely an unknown around the motorcycle scene. Just so I'm upfront ya know. TMod is definitely the expert 'round here.

Might just take you up on that offer. Thank you! Problem is I dont know what parts specifically to get. I know you just listed them, but I mean brand part number quantity etc. I dont want to order more than I need, but I dont want to show up missing stuff.

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
            It is seeping out of the seals where the tube go together?

That^
            Last edited by IndyGunner; 08-23-2012, 02:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

the wobble is most likely from your lack of fork oil...

my suit is tattered and looks like ***, but you are more than welcome to try it on if you make it up here before you head south. You can borrow my back protector, too...it might help fill up some of the difference between our chest size in the leathers. otherwise, sounds like a trip to the pony is in your immediate future, they had some suits starting at 399 on sale...scorpion helmets on closeout as well...(less than $100 for the one series!)

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Sent you a PM, if you want to get parts through me I paid for Bike Bandit's podium membership for the year and get free shipping, but you might be more comfortable sourcing your own parts so you don't have to worry about trusting me with that end. I can definitely help you figure out what you'll need though.

ETA:
                Don't spend money on bleeding brakes. With 2 of us that part's pretty straightforward.
                Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
                H. L. Mencken

Comment

Quit being a squid Mr bean!

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

$5 will get you a seal mate tool.

chances are that will fix the issue and no need to tear the forks down to change the seals.
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                      Quit being a squid Mr bean!

I wish i could afford it! LOL

I'm ordering this I think... just sucks that I have all these other bills that conveniently just fell into my lap. Guess thats life huh...

I just ordered new OEM seals/dust covers from a local shop. ($74+oil). Might be high, but I don't care. Fortunately my friend here in Indy has done this before and said he would help me out. Parts should be in tuesday and I'll get her done the following Saturday.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I greatly appreciate it!

Originally posted by Squisher View Post
                      Sent you a PM, if you want to get parts through me I paid for Bike Bandit's podium membership for the year and get free shipping, but you might be more comfortable sourcing your own parts so you don't have to worry about trusting me with that end. I can definitely help you figure out what you'll need though.

ETA:
                      Don't spend money on bleeding brakes. With 2 of us that part's pretty straightforward.
                      Pm returned. Thank you!

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                      my suit is tattered and looks like ***, but you are more than welcome to try it on if you make it up here before you head south. You can borrow my back protector, too...it might help fill up some of the difference between our chest size in the leathers. otherwise, sounds like a trip to the pony is in your immediate future, they had some suits starting at 399 on sale...scorpion helmets on closeout as well...(less than $100 for the one series!)
                      Thank you teddy... If I have any issues I'll certainly take you up on the offer. We need to get together sometime before winter... preferably after things with the bike are finished haha.

To be honest she has been concerning me lately. I think my valves need to be done again, sounds weird and doesnt start really well (like it used to before I had them done). The clutch is also REALLY clunky. I just want a new bikeeeeee hahaha
                      Last edited by IndyGunner; 08-23-2012, 05:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I would ck out clearance sales at the major suppliers starting with http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...e=KatRiderscom.
                        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                        X