X

1990 katana clutch issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 katana clutch issues

Hi everyone, I have a 90 katana and i recently changed the front sprocket and the sprocket cover. the rod is there and is working i have adjusted the clutch cable at both ends. when the bike is in gear the clutch will not disengage. ive taken the oil cap off and squeeze the clutch lever, the clutch moves but the plates dont. i have no idea what is wrong with the clutch but it basically works just wont disengage. i can feel pressure in the clutch when i squeeze it.

ps any help would greatly be appreciated thanks.
    Last edited by swordstealer69; 08-17-2012, 01:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Adjust the release mechanism (not sure if that's what it's called).

If you look at the sprocket cover you'll see a big rubber cover in the middle. Pry it off gently (screwdriver helps if you can't get to it with your nails). Inside you'll see a flathead stud held in place with a nut. Loosen the nut first (should be 10mm), then loosen the stud. Now tighten the stud until you just start to feel resistance, then back off half a turn. Hold the stud in place while you tighten the nut around it. Should be it.

FYI, when I installed larger clutch springs, I found that to get the clutch to fully release I did not need to back off the screw. Essentially it adjusts the clutch pushrod, so if you tighten the stud, before you feel resistance you are removing the travel in the clutch lever, and if you continue to tighten after you start feeling resistance you are starting to adjust a kind of "preload" where the clutch begins to be disengaged.

If you want to get a better idea for what's going on, just pull off the rubber cover and pull on the clutch lever while watching the little stud/nut. You'll notice that it spins and moves inward.

Comment

Also make sure the kickstand is up or it'll kill the bike as soon as it is put in gear.
      1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
      1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
      Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

I have adjusted that screw properly and everything else is adjusted perfect and i have checked the kick stand switch and even when the bike is off and i put it in gear and pull in the clutch the bike is still in gear. once again anything is greatly appreciated

Comment

Have you looked inside your clutch basket?

I imagine it's possible that you have a bad case of dogging, so the clutch plates don't disengage. My basket was pretty bad, I could never quite disconnect the clutch all the way because of the dogging.

In case you're not familiar, dogging occurs when the teeth of the clutch plates dig into the soft aluminum clutch basket, forming channels, so that when you release the clutch the plates just sit in these channels and don't release fully. You'll notice that the edges in the basket aren't smooth, they have obvious deformations where the plate teeth sit.

Comment

Mine broke off where the screw that holds the spring down goes...
            New clutch basket and bam runs like a champ.
            Time to tear out apart.
            Good luck

Comment

not something i was looking forward to since i just put brand new oil in and numerous other parts and have yet to get to ride it but your right time to tear the clutch basket apart and see whats going on.

Comment

Be careful in there too

Comment

will do for sure man

Comment

Working...
                  X