Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

03 600 katana fuel leak first bike need help.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03 600 katana fuel leak first bike need help.

so i was riding the other day. long story short i got home parked the bike and let it sit over night. the following morning i smelled gas in the house so went in the garage to investigate and found that the fuel is leaking right past the carb and filling my airbox up with fuel...... i attempted to shoot some carb spray in it to no avail. i cleaned the gas out of the box and hooked everything back up. it fired right up idled great, ran great, then when i got back home its doing the same damn thing again.... i have a pretty good mechanical apptitude for cars but im lost on a motercycle. any ideas?? is there a float bowl adjustment?? or possibly a fuel diaphram that could be ruptured?? any insight would be great

Remove the carbs.

Test the float needles on the bench (fill bowls with fuel, blow on fuel line... which carb does the fuel come out of the jets and ports on you?

Open the bowls that fail the test. Check for damaged float needles, floats, debris, or other issues that would prevent the float needle from sealing.

Put back together and test again.

If fails again... I suggest doing a full cleaning and rebuild on the carbs.

Test again to make sure it's fixed, and if passes... reinstall on the bike.

FYI... make sure your not leaving the bike on prime. If the on possition is allowing fuel to flow, also fix your petcock.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

If your sitting on the bike its the first carb on the left and if I close the petcock it drains the filter

Comment

I had similar issue with mine. I was in rejetting the carbs and had them back on and was going to sync and carb #1 started leaking.

Turns out it was the float needle seat. It is a brass fitting that has an o-ring that fits into the carb body and is held inplace by a screw. When I removed the needle seat that o-ring just fell off.

I also had to replace them in the other 3 carbs.

I would find the replacement o-rings and swap them out. It was easy to do and chances are the o-rings are shot anyway.

-Indyjw

Comment

cool im getting ready to go pull the carbs off right now and try it out.

Comment

update: took the carbs apart cleaned them up. replaced the o rings. It started up reved great i let it idle for about 3 seconds blipped the throttle and it died. when i filled the bowls up with gas and blew through the line it was very hard to blow through but i was able to push the gas outt of the filter in to the bowls......... so im assuming a full rebuild is in order...

Comment

ok fuel leak is fixed, now whenever i turn the handle bars to the left the rpm's go throught the roof. ive tried adjusting the throttle cables for about two hours and still cant seem to get it right. is therre like a generic setting that i can use to get it to sto doing this?

Comment

Originally posted by danomite View Post
                ok fuel leak is fixed, now whenever i turn the handle bars to the left the rpm's go throught the roof. ive tried adjusting the throttle cables for about two hours and still cant seem to get it right. is therre like a generic setting that i can use to get it to sto doing this?

I know I've posted this a few times, so if you want more details search...

That said... shorten the adjustents at the handle bar first all the way in.

Then put the throttle pull cable on first. adjust it so you have 1/4" turn on the throttle before it moves the carb throttle body.

Tighten it there.

Then do the return line. It also should have 1/4" movement on the throttle tube before it pulls it closed.

Tighten it there.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                X