X

clutch rod

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch rod

I recently had my clutch shaft break due to my chain slipping off. I bought a new shaft, seal, and sprocket cover to replace the old parts. When i bolted everything up there is enough tension when i tighten down the sprocket cover that the clutch is fully engaged all the time. It seems like not enough of the shaft slides into the motor. Is there an alignment dowel that moved in the way or is it possible the right hand shaft moved to block the passage?

Originally posted by insanebum View Post
    I recently had my clutch shaft break due to my chain slipping off. I bought a new shaft, seal, and sprocket cover to replace the old parts. When i bolted everything up there is enough tension when i tighten down the sprocket cover that the clutch is fully engaged all the time. It seems like not enough of the shaft slides into the motor. Is there an alignment dowel that moved in the way or is it possible the right hand shaft moved to block the passage?

Have you tried adjusting the tension on the cover as part of the clutch adjustment procedure?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I tried adjusting at the lever and where the cable goes into the cover, but not the one on the drive itself. i figured that a new lever shouldnt affect that adjustment that much.

Comment

I tried adjusting at the lever and where the cable goes into the cover, but not the one on the drive itself. i figured that a new lever shouldnt affect that adjustment that much.
        This is why you have the issue.

Do a full clutch adjustment. Follow the steps in the manual. Fiddling with the adjustment at the bar is not going to do anything to resolve the issue alone.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

When you bolt up the sprocket cover, should it be compressing the clutch shaft about a quarter inch?

Comment

When you bolt up the sprocket cover, should it be compressing the clutch shaft about a quarter inch?
            No

Comment

No, and there is an adjustment on the cover (outside, center, rubber cover) that you adjust to fix that. Again, it's part of the clutch adjustment procedure in the manual.

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
              mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Comment

What kreylyn said is probably correct but i just want to clarify ......

You state that the clutch pushrod was "broken" so the question is did it actually break or just bend as if it did break there could be a small peice in the hole & if there is you will never get correct clutch ajustment !

edit ..... are you sure the pushrod is the correct length ? suppliers have been known to mess up or assume that kat/gsxr/bandit parts are all the same we know some are different maybe someone here can measure theirs to confirm ?
                Last edited by tone; 08-15-2012, 08:33 PM. Reason: another thought
                Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Insane if you want give me your number and I will call and walk you through it. I wrote up the how to on the clutch adjustment. I used both the clymer and the haynes manual to do the how to. So if you are unsure and do not wantto give me your number here is mine 615-498-4263.
                  www.mopowersports.com

Comment

The rod broke when my chain came off while i was going down the road. I used a magnet to retrieve the broken piece out of the hole itself, which was about 3/4 of an inch long. I ordered the part from the local suzuki dealer and the part number on the bag is the right number for the left hand rod. Unless some has the actual measurement of the correct length rod, I have no other way to verify it is the correct rod. i had no adjusted the worm drive yet because it seems logically that just replacing the rod itself should not affect the that adjustment because it has not moved and worked just fine before. That is why i asked about an alignment dowel or something internally that could have moved to cause the rod not to go in far enough. Thanks for all the input though and im willing to try anything to stay away from a 90/hour dealer labor. I will call hs2020 after i get off work which is 5:00 so 7:00 ish his time if thats ok with him.

Comment

Kreylen, i am very sorry i doubted you. I adjusted my cable according to HS2020's walk through and my clutch works perfectly. Thank you all so much for all the help. If any of you guys are ever in the spokane area let me no n ill buy you a beer or three.

Comment

Working...
                      X