X

Starter Clutch question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Clutch question

I have had great time in this fourm ,it has saved my $$ and its fun to work on your own bike !!

Well ,I have been having this issue every once and a while ,when I start my bike it just "click'ed"(brand new batt,she run fine) just one time and if I "rock the bike back and fourth in gear for a min, its starts no problem, Im thinking since the bike is a 1992 Kat 750 ,its one of two things the starter clutch or gear is missing some teeth ,or a tooth.I thought to ask before I start pulling my bike apart ,I have replaced one before and a Ninja and I have my Kat book. Any advice is welcomed!!!

Originally posted by SithSpeeder View Post
    I have had great time in this fourm ,it has saved my $$ and its fun to work on your own bike !!

Well ,I have been having this issue every once and a while ,when I start my bike it just "click'ed"(brand new batt,she run fine) just one time and if I "rock the bike back and fourth in gear for a min, its starts no problem, Im thinking since the bike is a 1992 Kat 750 ,its one of two things the starter clutch or gear is missing some teeth ,or a tooth.I thought to ask before I start pulling my bike apart ,I have replaced one before and a Ninja and I have my Kat book. Any advice is welcomed!!!
    Not missing teeth on gears... or instead of a click you would hear a "whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrr" as is spins freely.

Sounds like it's binding is the issue. It's been reported lots of times that if one of the bolts on the starter isn't properly secured, then it can get bound up and cause issues similiar.

I'd start there...

Then, check to make sure you have clean and very good/proper connections on the wires for the starter.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Check the wiring at the battery and starter as well as the starter fasteners.
      Id be testing the starter relay, bad contact inside wont put enough power to the starter.
      easy way to test it is, next time it happens cross the power contacts with a screw driver. if it turns the engine over the relay is bad
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

And if it's not a bad starter solenoid/relay your starter might be about due for some new brushes. 99% of the time people replace their starters when all they really need is the commutator cleaned up and new brushes installed. Suzuki sells the brushes in an assembly with a new brush holder plate.

Comment

Thanks all

Sorry for the late response ,class and all ,Im going to work on it here in a few ,just a recap, I hit start and no wine or spinning just stops like its stuck, but if I kepp hiting the starter it will start ,I usally just roll back in neutral and put it in gear and within a min or two it fire's right up , so Im hopeing you all are right , and is this what your talking about as far as rebuild kit I found it for 25 bucks on amazon Brand New Starter Repair / Rebuild Kit for Suzuki

For 2 Brush Mitsuba Models

Includes
          (1) Brush Holder Assembly with Ground Brush,
          (1) Positive Brush Assembly with Terminal,
          (1) Seal,
          (1) Bearing,
          (1) Bushing &
          (5) O-Rings
          Last edited by SithSpeeder; 08-17-2012, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Yes thats a starter brush kit.

Open up your starter and confirm its brushes are just about gone.
            It's a messy job with all that carbon dust but clean up the commutator with some fine wet-or-dry sandpaper wetted with some wd40 and it should polish right up. Clean the housing thoroughly and Install the new brush components then slap it back together.
            Good as a new 300+ dollar starter.

Comment

Sweet sauce

Great ,my today project ,thanks again , good thing I got the maintenance book for my bike shows the complete started rebuild and break down ,gotta love the books ....

Comment

A couple month ago my 90 katana did the same thing for like intermittently for 2 weeks then one day it wouldnt start at all. i check the connector under the tank and it was disconnected. i reconnected the wires and its been starting and running fine since.

Comment

Working...
                X