X

Idling at 5000rpm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idling at 5000rpm

OK ya'll. Took the carbs and cleaned them out. When I start the bike cold, it runs at about 3000-4000rpm until it warms up. Then it idles at 1100 as it should. However, after about 4 or 5 minutes idling, it suddenly jumps to 5000 or higher. Any ideas? Not looking forward to rebuilding carbs.

What bike do you have?

Comment

1993 Katana 750

Comment

I have a rebuilt set with a full Dynojet jet kit included, it just depends how much you are not looking forward to rebuilding the carbs.
        [ame="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190709687593&ssPageNam e=STRK:MESE:IT"]carburetors carbs Suzuki GSX750F Katana 750 89-97[/ame]
        Last edited by arsenic; 08-05-2012, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I saw that online, they look nice, but they are $200 more than i bought the bike for. I can rebuild them, i just didn't want to. Carbs are a pain in the butt. I was a car mechanic for many years, but I have come to find bikes are a different animal. You know of any rebuild kits? Also, is that what you think the issue is? Carbs?
          I would rather work on a backfiring holley 4 barrel, than these tiny mikunis. Not that they are bad, but they are small.
          Last edited by jmkoch; 08-05-2012, 07:03 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

They are $200 more then you bought a paper weight for. A Katana without good carbs is nothing but a 500 lbs paper weight. It's either dirty carbs, or a vacuum leak issue. Have you synced the carbs yet? If not,do that, that should remove that aspect of a possible vacuum leak.

Comment

Sorry, but salaries in the military aren't exactly high these days to drop $500 on carbs. Maybe next time I deploy I'll hold a little back for them. Thanks for the info, but I could do without the snarky attitude, I get enough of that at work. Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm not a big fan of being talked down to.

Comment

Don't take it to heart, it's just arsenic. We've all gotten used to it. If you stick around you will too.

Carbs aren't that difficult to clean, just make sure you replace all the 0-rings and gaskets, prevents vac leaks and fuel leaks.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Yeah. You learn not to tolerate people like him in my line of work. They get other people hurt or worse. They eventually alienate themselves. There is a bike shop near me and I think they have rebuild kits available. I guess Ill just do that. Thanks. I heard I can get a sync tool from harbor freight for cheap. Ill either do that or make one myself. I was just looking for advice, not a sales pitch.

Comment

That' just the way he is, I wouldn't want him to change who he is just to make people happy any more than i would you. He just speaks his mind. you,ll get to know him and other well, we have a lot of answers, they maybe off the wall straight in your face but they are usually correct. Attitudes come from repeatedly answering the same posts or not researching first.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by jmkoch View Post
                      I could do without the snarky attitude, I get enough of that at work. Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm not a big fan of being talked down to.
                      I apologize if it came off as condescending. I didn't meant it to. Again, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                      X