Won't idle consistently

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't idle consistently

1996 Kat 600, 118xx miles

After replacing the battery and rebuilding the petcock the bike would run, but not off of choke, so i tore the Carbs down, cleaned, and rebuilt them. Put everything back together and visually syncd them. I got it to idle at 1800 today to get ready to sync the carbs, so I shut it off, pulled the vac caps off, and when I started it back up, it once again will not idle consistently, and if I blip the throttle it will go up to 2500-3000 rpm's and hang. If I mess with the idle adjustment screw it will simply fall flat on it's face and shut off.

Should I sync the carbs at 2500+ RPMs, or go through the carbs again and double check for vac leaks?

Thanks,

Seth

Originally posted by sdelivery View Post
    1996 Kat 600, 118xx miles

After replacing the battery and rebuilding the petcock the bike would run, but not off of choke, so i tore the Carbs down, cleaned, and rebuilt them. Put everything back together and visually syncd them. I got it to idle at 1800 today to get ready to sync the carbs, so I shut it off, pulled the vac caps off, and when I started it back up, it once again will not idle consistently, and if I blip the throttle it will go up to 2500-3000 rpm's and hang. If I mess with the idle adjustment screw it will simply fall flat on it's face and shut off.

Should I sync the carbs at 2500+ RPMs, or go through the carbs again and double check for vac leaks?

Thanks,

Seth

Out of sync is just like a vacuum leak.

Start the sync process, get them closer to each other. Then double check your work at 1800 rpms to make sure they are right. You will probably see a great improvement as you get them closer to sync.

If after the sync, your idle still hanges.... I would check air leaks and a/f screw settings. Are they at 2.5 turns at least?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Out of sync is just like a vacuum leak.

Start the sync process, get them closer to each other. Then double check your work at 1800 rpms to make sure they are right. You will probably see a great improvement as you get them closer to sync.

If after the sync, your idle still hanges.... I would check air leaks and a/f screw settings. Are they at 2.5 turns at least?

Krey
      Thanks Krey, I stopped for the day. Got too frustrated between coil clips breaking and my 3 year old son "helping". I'll sync it tomorrow and try again. And yes, AF screws are at 2.5
      Last edited by sdelivery; 08-04-2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Got carbs 3+4 syncd, but as soon as I would get 1+2 close the bike would rev up from ~2200 to ~4000 and sit there throwing them way off, and as soon as I got them close it would go back down. Am I just too slow with the 2 bottle method, or should I be trying to find another issue

Comment

Originally posted by sdelivery View Post
          Got carbs 3+4 syncd, but as soon as I would get 1+2 close the bike would rev up from ~2200 to ~4000 and sit there throwing them way off, and as soon as I got them close it would go back down. Am I just too slow with the 2 bottle method, or should I be trying to find another issue

No, what you need to do is adjust them at 1800 (or as close) and as you get them closer and the rpms change as you described... adjust the rpms with the idle adjuster so the rpms go back down to 1800. Then continue sync. If the idle jumps up again... repeat as nessasary by adjusting the rpms with the idle adjustment.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
          X