X

wouldn't start and gas in the oil...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wouldn't start and gas in the oil...

So I bought a 98 600 with 8000 miles on it, babied and kept up nicely until the last 3 yrs where it just sat in the garage. So I've rode it for a week and suddenly things start going wrong. First a little puddle of gas under the bike... I could see no leaks and my weed eater and lawn mower as well as the gas cans sit very near by and with what the wind sometimes blows under the garage door I thought maybe its a coincidence.

Last Saturday I went to my shop and saw a much larger puddle and this time time saw it leaking off the swing arm. I pulled the clutch side fairing and saw a hose that was hanging disconnected. I re attached the hose pushed it down to the spigot and began to rinse off the gas and this turned into giving the bike a bath.

So it sat out drying while I mowed the yard. When I get on it to crank it up... Nothing. Frustrated I pushed this once running bike back up to the shop.

Monday I pulled the fairings and the following is what I discovered.

The hose leaking gas was coming off the airbox.
    My spark plugs were fouled.
    The oil was over full
    My petcock wouldn't turn the gas off in on or reserve.
    And I wasn't sure if I had a stuck float in one of the carbs.

So this week I've:
    Pulled the tank, the petcock, the airbox, the carbs and the plugs changed the oil and filter.

I checked out the carbs (they may later get a good cleaning if I see problems running this week) replaced a seal in the petcock, changed plugs but not wires, dried out the airfilter, and reassembled.

It fired right up!

Whew been a long week, and I really hope its fixed.
    yep, I think I'm finally responsible enough to ride a bike that I don't have to pedal ; )

You're petcock has nothing to do with the issue. If the floats are sealing like they should the petcock doesn't matter. The reason you got gas in your oil is a float needle issue. That tends to happen when a bike sits for 3 years.

Comment

I agree, however the petcock is supposed to keep my gas in the tank when the engine is not running. And I may have just had trash get through to the carb. Either way i know the carbs will need attention at some point. Hopefully later than sooner : )
      Last edited by mmiltonp; 07-28-2012, 06:28 PM.
      yep, I think I'm finally responsible enough to ride a bike that I don't have to pedal ; )

Comment

sooner..
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

later... ; )

Comment

If you repeat that it doesn't make it true. ...jus' sayin'

Comment

lol that works both ways, it could be sooner, it could be later, only time will tell.

Comment

Time just did tell.

Comment

nah, clocks still running : ) but if it turns out my problems return I'll fess up

Comment

Originally posted by mmiltonp View Post
                    nah, clocks still running : ) but if it turns out my problems return I'll fess up

Your problem never left...

This is like fixing the leaking roof by dumping the catch bucket under it. Just cause the bucket is empty now doesn't mean the roof has stopped leaking.

krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      Your problem never left...

This is like fixing the leaking roof by dumping the catch bucket under it. Just cause the bucket is empty now doesn't mean the roof has stopped leaking.

krey
                      exactly

Comment

so theres no chance when I opened up the carbs that I didn't reseat something or remove trash or a myriad of other things?

Comment

You mean is there any chance you accidentally fixed your carbs by taking the float bowl off? Slim to none at best.

Comment

Originally posted by mmiltonp View Post
                            so theres no chance when I opened up the carbs that I didn't reseat something or remove trash or a myriad of other things?
                            Simple test....

Take the tank loose so you can put it to the side. Just before pulling the fuel line off, set it to prime and fill the bowls and fuel line. Carefully pull the fuel line off and set the tank to the side (see note below if the petcock won't stop flowing fuel). With the tank set off, blow on the fuel line to the carbs. If you can move any air at all through that line, you have at least one float needle not sealing off and is causing the problem. That needs to be fixed by removing the carbs and cleaning/inspecting them fully.

*If the petcock is messed up and won't stop flowing fuel, setting the tank on it's right side with the petcock elevated at about a 40-60 degree angle, petcock at the "top", will generally move it so the fuel level is below it. Unless your working with a gas tank that is completely full.*

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok, I'm hearing you guys, later this week I'll do that check and report back.

Comment

Working...
                              X