X

I think I have my problem narrowed down

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I have my problem narrowed down

hesitation coming from a stop until 3500. good until 6000 then another hesitation then good and strong past that.

I want to try different spark plugs (cheaper) as the ones in my bike now are $15 bucks a piece (CR9EK) I remember Slowfuz mentioned he just uses regular old single point plugs and they work fine for him and are only about $5 a plug. anyone know what they would be? ('01 600 kat)

Can you check the float needles for being stuck with the carbs still on the bike? I have completely torn one down before but I can't remember if the float needle is below the black cap or under the bowl. if I am getting a rich mixture would it even be the float needle sticking or the actual plastic floats?
    -Brandon

Floats are under the float bowls.
    I'll leave the rest of your questions to the experts.
    --- 1992 Katana stolen from San Antonio ---
    --- Bought a 1996 Katana 600 ---

Comment

thanks for the bump my friend!
      -Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
        hesitation coming from a stop until 3500. good until 6000 then another hesitation then good and strong past that.

I want to try different spark plugs (cheaper) as the ones in my bike now are $15 bucks a piece (CR9EK) I remember Slowfuz mentioned he just uses regular old single point plugs and they work fine for him and are only about $5 a plug. anyone know what they would be? ('01 600 kat)

Can you check the float needles for being stuck with the carbs still on the bike? I have completely torn one down before but I can't remember if the float needle is below the black cap or under the bowl. if I am getting a rich mixture would it even be the float needle sticking or the actual plastic floats?
        cr9e is the number you're asking for.

To me it sounds like you have an over rich jetting issue and a gummed up idle circuit. possibly sticky cv slides too.
        Good time for a carb cleaning or rebuild.

If you have a stuck open float needle and don't see it overflowing, you'd have fuel possibly draining into the intake port on whichever carb is stuck. If its bad enough you can hydro-lock the cylinder and destroy engine parts. Check your oil for gas smell and high level.

hth

Comment

oil is about half full at the moment, smells like used oil. Took it to a fellow and had the carbs cleaned, i actually removed the carbs and took them to him in a box along with the bike and he did the rest. I would agree with the rich jetting but i'd hope nothing is gummed up after i spent a wad of money to have everything cleaned/snyc'd and valve adjustment. Of course there is the chance that he didn't do a good job. After I got it back i didn't notice any of these issues (4 months ago) I did have an issue with a stuck float (2 months ago) and took it right back to him and he coated the inside of the tank and fixed up the stuck needle or float. This issue seemed to have come on gradually, I am currently replacing the cam chain tensioner spring and took the black cap off the carb that i had been having trouble with and made sure the needle moved freely, all is well there...
          -Brandon

Comment

Working...
          X