Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

So..try this on..I threw my chain and...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So..try this on..I threw my chain and...

So I was on a ride with some of my friends on 101, on my 2004 katana

My bike threw the chain, it looks like it broke at the master link, but that is beside the point, needless to say I am going to have some words with the mechanics that put it on

I also noticed that my clutch felt really loose, almost like the cable was disconnected, but yet it still had its recoil.

Then I saw this

This is the top of the sprocket cover, apparently the chain had enough velocity to smash through and do some damage.

I was only going about 40mph and this happened between a shift.

I havent dug into this yet, as I just got home after loading it into a uhual and driving 6 hours.

But any thoughts on to an approximate damage estimate, I can shift into gears but when i pull the clutch handle it does nothing.

any help is appreciated

is that the chain guard cover that got damaged ? i see no oil leak . buy a whole new chain kit with a name brand like D.I.D - or RK even EK .

Comment

No that's the sprocket cover. You need a new one of those.

Comment

That is the top of the front sprocket cover, and your right there are no fluids leaking.

This is covered by the cowling and best reference I can give right now until I dig into it, is this is directly above the front sprocket for my drive chain

Ya that's part number 11361-19E00

But why would this cause my clutch to not work? Basically I've never seen a chain do this much damage.

I'll post more pics once I get into this
        Last edited by frogger323; 07-22-2012, 11:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The chain breaking could have hit a lot of thing inside the sprocket cover that work within the clutch mechanism. The clutch worm gear or the small push rod. It's probably one of those.
          Clutch microfiche
          The worm gear is item #21. It is bolted inside the sprocket cover. The small push rod is item # 19. It goes from the worm gear inside the crank case into the transmission input shaft and push against the longer push rod.

Comment

Bottom line is:
            1. You broke some stuff. Parts will have to be replaced. You won't know until you take the sprocket cover off and take a look.
            2. Some of the stuff that may be broken affects your clutch operation. You won't know until you take the sprocket cover off and take a look.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thats why you dont take your bike to a shop

And even though you were going "only 40mph" which is fast enough to twist even a steel frame, imagine how quickly the chain was turning around the front sprocket.

Shops are also not liable for damages caused by part failure, thats on the chain company who will say it was installed incorrectly...so...you're pretty ****ed. Take it as a lesson learned.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thank you so much guys

Your information and experience is greatly appreciated, Ya having to pay for the Uhaul and the 8mpg it gets and the new chain was not planned and trying to keep the bike on the road so I can save money driving that vs the truck is my first priority.

Ill post some pictures in the next couple of days

Thank you again

Comment

the sprocket cover on my '90 1100 is missing the back/top corner. The PO said the chain was loose and came off. Chain piled into the cover and broke it. That's all the details I have about the story.

Given the mass of the chain and the speed it is going, it could do quite a bit a damage.

I am looking for a used cover.
                  '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

Buy & sell electronics, cars, clothes, collectibles & more on eBay, the world's online marketplace. Top brands, low prices & free shipping on many items.

Comment

Hi frogger323, can you also please post a picture of the broken chain link side and top view of the failed link ?

Great forum and great people here at katriders, except for whoever deleted my rather long post in this thread. ?

Comment

Working...
                      X