X

Choke and throttle response

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke and throttle response

Hey guys. I finally got my 94 kat 750 up to speed and running.

Well sort of....

Does anybody have a good method for adjusting the choke on the bike? I can't seem to find a balance between the choke adjustment cable and the switch. It will either idle too low, or just won't start at all. Ive moved the cable up and down a few times, but it's only gotten started a few times.

Also, does anybody know why pulling the throttle would make the bike die? I've gotten it running good a couple of times, but when I pull on the throttle, the bike stalls out.

Originally posted by phil4all View Post
    Hey guys. I finally got my 94 kat 750 up to speed and running.

Well sort of....

Does anybody have a good method for adjusting the choke on the bike? I can't seem to find a balance between the choke adjustment cable and the switch. It will either idle too low, or just won't start at all. Ive moved the cable up and down a few times, but it's only gotten started a few times.

Also, does anybody know why pulling the throttle would make the bike die? I've gotten it running good a couple of times, but when I pull on the throttle, the bike stalls out.

There is no adjustment for the choke other than the lever. It's not a "on/off" thing, so you can adjust by changing how far you pull on the lever.

The choke isn't a choke (as in plate that blocks off air flow in the carbs). It's a fuel enrichment system. When you pull on the lever, you are making extra fuel spray into the engine for a cold start. So more choke = more fuel.

The throttle controls the butterlies in the carbs. More throttle = more air.

If you bike won't idle with out the choke, you probably need to clean the carbs.

If you add throttle and it dies, you have a low fuel/lean situation. This would also be a clean the carbs situation ussually.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      There is no adjustment for the choke other than the lever. It's not a "on/off" thing, so you can adjust by changing how far you pull on the lever.

The choke isn't a choke (as in plate that blocks off air flow in the carbs). It's a fuel enrichment system. When you pull on the lever, you are making extra fuel spray into the engine for a cold start. So more choke = more fuel.

The throttle controls the butterlies in the carbs. More throttle = more air.

If you bike won't idle with out the choke, you probably need to clean the carbs.

If you add throttle and it dies, you have a low fuel/lean situation. This would also be a clean the carbs situation ussually.

Krey

If there's no adjustment for the choke other than the lever, what is the threaded cable coming off the choke lever supposed to be for? Also, when I can get it started, it seems that moving the choke up actually drops the idle, which is strange.

Comment

Originally posted by phil4all View Post
        If there's no adjustment for the choke other than the lever, what is the threaded cable coming off the choke lever supposed to be for? Also, when I can get it started, it seems that moving the choke up actually drops the idle, which is strange.

Had to take a double take... guess there is an adjustment. I've got 3 kats I constantly work on, and countless others I've worked on and never one had to adjust the choke. Would have sworn there wasn't one, but... well... there ya go.

As for how to adjust it, it should have just a slight bit of slack before pulling on the lever. Generally speaking I would adjust it with the tank off so you can verify the choke rail is fully closed to confirm how much slack you have.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
        X