X

Front axle hex socket size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front axle hex socket size

Can anyone confirm the hex socket size that I need to remove my front wheel?

I have an '03 kat 600 and the service manual up to '02. The service manual says there is a nut securing the axle and includes a picture, but I have a hex slot on my front axle.

I estimated that it is 14 mm using a scale, but I am not totally confident in that estimation.

Anyone?
    Attached Files
    Extra life.

Dohh...mods, please delete
    Extra life.

Comment

I think a 3/4 bolt with 2 nuts locked togather BTW
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Thanks. Apparently, it's a 12mm. But, I should also be able to use the exhaust bolt....
        Originally posted by dayvidgallagher View Post
        Correct it is 12mm, a trick I used is the exhaust bolt by the passenger footpeg is the same size and easy to get to. Remove it and the nut, put the nut all the way back on, then you can use it to take the front wheel off with just a 12mm socket or cresent.

I'll give it a go tonight if it doesn't rain (thunderstorms are expected, of course)
        Extra life.

Comment

these forks and brakes are tempermental
          When I took my 04 a part for wheel bearings I had a brake drag afterwards

I think ????
          Remove calipers
          Re and re wheel ,torque axle
          Bounce front end for slight compression of front shocks ,tighten pinch bolts for axle ( make sure you dont squeeze front brake leaver)
          Push pistons back in calipers , reinstall calipers and slow short stroke the front brake leaver until brakes com back
          MAKE SURE THE FRONT WHEEL SPINS FREELY WHEN YOUR ALL DONE

Originally posted by rockat View Post
          Thanks. Apparently, it's a 12mm. But, I should also be able to use the exhaust bolt....

I'll give it a go tonight if it doesn't rain (thunderstorms are expected, of course)

mine didnt have a stock exhaust anymore
          Last edited by rexazz2; 07-18-2012, 02:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
            these forks and brakes are tempermental
            When I took my 04 a part for wheel bearings I had a brake drag afterwards

I think ????
            Remove calipers
            Re and re wheel ,torque axle
            Bounce front end for slight compression of front shocks ,tighten pinch bolts for axle ( make sure you dont squeeze front brake leaver)
            Push pistons back in calipers , reinstall calipers and slow short stroke the front brake leaver until brakes com back
            MAKE SURE THE FRONT WHEEL SPINS FREELY WHEN YOUR ALL DONE

mine didnt have a stock exhaust anymore
            Thanks for the heads up
            Extra life.

Comment

Working...
            X