X

Locked Transmission

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked Transmission

Hi I'm looking at buying a 1990 Katana 750 for $350, the seller says it runs but that the transmission "Wont move or stuck in a high gear wont shift will start and run w clutch in but as soon as u let out it dies"
    Is this worth buying? I have no enigine experience so I don't want anything too hard to fix, but if its easy I think I could do it.

It's certainty possible, it's not easy though. You know what is easy? Buying a bike that runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Huffdaddy70 View Post
      Hi I'm looking at buying a 1990 Katana 750 for $350, the seller says it runs but that the transmission "Wont move or stuck in a high gear wont shift will start and run w clutch in but as soon as u let out it dies"
      Is this worth buying? I have no enigine experience so I don't want anything too hard to fix, but if its easy I think I could do it.

Well... there is a slight possibility that what they are describing is just a faulty kick stand saftey switch that is killing the bike when you let out the clutch. If it was local, I'd probably be all over it. But then I'm pretty sure I could fix the engine even if it was a trans problem at this point.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

How could I tell if it were a faulty switch without them trying to jack up the price if I fixed it?

Comment

Originally posted by Huffdaddy70 View Post
          How could I tell if it were a faulty switch without them trying to jack up the price if I fixed it?

Well, if it really is in gear as you slow let out the clutch it would want to drag the engine rpms down or... 'bog down'.

If it's a combination saftey switch issues, the bike will electronically be turned off by the switch when you let the clutch out a little killing it instantly.

So the difference is... does it bog down like the clutch dragged the engine to a stop, or did it sound like it was turned off?

krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

There's an outside chance he put a 16T front sprocket on and didn't grind out the cover leg???? That will lock the chain and may cause similar symptoms.

Comment

Working...
            X