X

Please help...Stem is jacked...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help...Stem is jacked...

Guys, I was replacing my steering bearings and the lower bearing wouldn't come off the stem....so naturally after getting aggravated i grabbed a hammer and beat the top of the stem hoping it would push the bottom through and ultimately jacked up the threading of the top stem.....SO, now the large chrome bolt wont fit on there....

Any thoughts......Please?
    Manny

A bigazz die for that diameter and tread pitch.

Comment

Time for new steering stem. The top nut has to take quite a bit of torque; just cleaning up the threads isn't going to do it. I have 05 I'm parting out w 900 miles on it; you should be able to put in new stem without changing race....did you get the races out of the steering head?

PS..next time, heat the race with a mini torch, tap the seam with a chisel and they pop right off...

Also, for slipping new races inside the steering head, you'll need a large diameter socket and a 6" extension. I also buy a couple bricks of dry ice; put the inside races on the dry ice; they'll shrink just enough to be a firm press-fit so you don't have to hammer on the socket and extension so much.

Then, put the steering stem on the dry ice for about 15 minutes and heat the outside bottom race up in a pan of boiling water; dry it on a towel and slide it down the extremely cold stem....it'll also slip right on. Wear gloves or you'll get instant frostbite.
      Last edited by oldetymebiker; 06-28-2012, 07:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by oldetymebiker View Post
        Time for new steering stem. The top nut has to take quite a bit of torque; just cleaning up the threads isn't going to do it. I have 05 I'm parting out w 900 miles on it; you should be able to put in new stem without changing race....did you get the races out of the steering head?

PS..next time, heat the race with a mini torch, tap the seam with a chisel and they pop right off...

Also, for slipping new races inside the steering head, you'll need a large diameter socket and a 6" extension. I also buy a couple bricks of dry ice; put the inside races on the dry ice; they'll shrink just enough to be a firm press-fit so you don't have to hammer on the socket and extension so much.

Then, put the steering stem on the dry ice for about 15 minutes and heat the outside bottom race up in a pan of boiling water; dry it on a towel and slide it down the extremely cold stem....it'll also slip right on. Wear gloves or you'll get instant frostbite.
        will the 05 stem fit into the 02 tree correctly? Do you have yours off the bike?

I put the outer parts of the bearings in the tree part of the bike....just need a new stem at this point so i can put the other parts of the bearing on it. What are you looking to get from yours? There is a stem that would work on ebay for 28 shipped...

What color is your 2005 bike?
        Manny

Comment

05 and 02 don't match up. You need to stick with 98-02 models.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
          X