X

Front Brake clicking... Rotors have rotational play

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Brake clicking... Rotors have rotational play

I noticed my front wheel was making a clicking noise when I applied the front break. The noise slowed down as the bike slowed down. I inspected the F rotors today - they are both right around 4.4mm thick. Service manual says 4.5mm is new, 4.0mm is the service limit. It looks like just the rivet-thingys that allows the rotors to float are just a little loose.

1. How urgently do I need to repair this?

2. Any way to fix this without replacing the rotors? New rivet-thingys maybe?

EDIT: 2000 Kat 600, 21K
    Last edited by jamesm113; 06-23-2012, 01:18 PM.

The clicking you are hearing is probably the holes in the rotor going past the brake pads. Mine does it too sometimes. Unless it's really loud....then you may want to check your wheel bearings.

What do you mean by rotational play?

Comment

I think my wheel bearings are fine. If I don't use the front brake to slow down, there is no noise.

With the front wheel on the ground, I grabbed the outer rotor and tried to wiggle it in the same direction the wheel spins. There was some play between the outer rotor and the inner rotor, on both sides. I can make a video if it's still confusing
      Last edited by jamesm113; 06-23-2012, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Nope, I understand you now perfectly. I don't think that's an issue provided the play is small....just a little wiggle is OK as the rotors are a "floating" design. IMO, if the rotor is really loose it should be replaced.

Comment

The clicking is from the play between the rotor and the rotor hub, Time for replacment.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Bummer, is this normal? Seems like there is a lot of life on these rotors, and I don't ride the brakes hard. Also, would 2006 rotors fit a 2000 bike? they have different part #'s but look similiar

Comment

I believe they will. the wear is normal. you can use them but, for safety you should replace them.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

They will 100% NOT fit. The 98-02 front rotors are dished. The 03-06 front rotors are flat.

Comment

Thanks arsenic, 98-02 replacement rotors it is.

Is this a common problem? Would like to see the rotors last a little longer, especially at $365 a pop from the dealer

Comment

Originally posted by jamesm113 View Post
                    Thanks arsenic, 98-02 replacement rotors it is.

Is this a common problem? Would like to see the rotors last a little longer, especially at $365 a pop from the dealer

Before you replace, have them inspected at a trusted mechanics shop.

Over the web diagnosis of a "noise" isn't all you want to go by.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Had the tech at the local dealer take a look. He said the rotors were OK. He said they were loose, but not loose enough to replace.

He thought the clicking noise was something else, he thought maybe the wheel bearing going bad under load from the front brake

Comment

I was told by a suzuki tech/dealer that " if the rotor is loose enought to obviously hear them click, they should be replaced", Just sayin. my 2 cents.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

My tech was concerned I'd go over the handlebars because a wheel bearing would lock up. After inspecting the rotors and feeling the play, he thought although there was some play, it was normal for floating rotors.

Anyway, I jacked up the front of the bike, tried to reproduce the noise by spinning the wheel and applying the brakes. No luck.

I took the wheel off, and used the axle to put it on jack stands. I hear a little noise, but it's very faint - so faint I had to take my wall clock out of the room to hear it. Also, the wheel spins a very long time - I gave it one spin by hand and it spun for 3 minutes and 50 seconds.

Also rotors were straight to my eye. I have a HF dial indicator, but no way to mount it.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesm113 View Post
                            My tech was concerned I'd go over the handlebars because a wheel bearing would lock up. After inspecting the rotors and feeling the play, he thought although there was some play, it was normal for floating rotors.

Anyway, I jacked up the front of the bike, tried to reproduce the noise by spinning the wheel and applying the brakes. No luck.

I took the wheel off, and used the axle to put it on jack stands. I hear a little noise, but it's very faint - so faint I had to take my wall clock out of the room to hear it. Also, the wheel spins a very long time - I gave it one spin by hand and it spun for 3 minutes and 50 seconds.

Also rotors were straight to my eye. I have a HF dial indicator, but no way to mount it.
                            ck the wheel bearings by hand. rotate them with your finger and feel for any roughness or notches. should be smooth.
                            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                              ck the wheel bearings by hand. rotate them with your finger and feel for any roughness or notches. should be smooth.
                              No roughness, no notches, very smooth.

I cleaned up the axle parts, put everything back together, noticed the calipers are a little dirty. Tried cleaning them up the best I could. Took a test ride, if the noise hasn't gone away, it's definitely fainter. I'll keep listening for it

Comment

Working...
                              X