X

Arsenic Carbs - Rebuilt Petcock - No Joy :(

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arsenic Carbs - Rebuilt Petcock - No Joy :(

So I took a leap of faith based on SloFuze's suggestion, and bought new spark plugs. I bought some irridiums from CP back in August of 09, but for some reason they were not in the bike. I pulled out some blackened CR9EK OEM plugs, when they should have been CR9EIX. Since the mechanic I used is one with a stellar reputation here and on other forums, I will just assume that they weren't put in, and that I was told, lost them and forgot about it.

Bike started up like a champ immediately after installing the new plugs, and the petcock works properly after a little finagling. I messed up the retention clamp on the selector though, so I might be needed a new petcock down the road if I can't sort that out. Thank you everyone for all your help on this thread and others.

Original post Below:

This bike ran, though I ran bad fuel through it last time. The first video is of the delicious fuel I used. The second is of the bike now, with new fuel line, filter, rebuilt(by me) petcock, and carbs with factory pro jets I bought from Arsenic. I'm starting to run beyond my abilities in figuring out why it wont run. The filter is looking half full of fuel. The petcock lets a small drizzle of fuel flow in the normal position, and lets a lot flow in the pre-fill position. I hope the sound helps someone tell me what's wrong.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnClqSePIUk"]Funny Fuel[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SMe_r_ZR88"]Bike Won't Start[/ame]
    Last edited by setite; 06-27-2012, 05:34 PM. Reason: Update

Yank out plugs 2&3 and take a pic.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Has the tank been cleaned and lined? If not, your carbs are clogged agian (even with the filter, yes... ).

But, if that isn't the case lets narrow it down...

Double check your plug wires are in the correct order on the plugs.

Take the tank off and set it aside. Use an alternate known clean fuel source with no petcock, just a straight drip into the fuel line. No filter.

Turn the key on. Use a volt meter to check voltage for the orange/white strip wires on the coils (must be at least 11v). If that is a go, test again with the starter turning the motor over (must keep at over at least 11 v). If that is a pass, then using choke try to start the bike. Make sure all 4 plungers are opening when you pull the choke (choke rail that moves is connected to 4 plungers, one on each carb...).

If you get nothing at this point, then try taking the air filter out, and spray a small amount of fuel or starter fluid into each intake. Try starting again.

If you get it to start with fuel/starter fluid sprayed, but it won't stay running... then your carbs are not providing fuel. (and we can address that if it's the case).

If it starts and stays running, start putting things back together, and test after each time to make sure. Put the air filter in. start it. put the tank on, start it.

If you find after a step that it won't stay running, then you narrowed down where the issues are.

krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Has the tank been cleaned and lined? If not, your carbs are clogged agian (even with the filter, yes... ).

But, if that isn't the case lets narrow it down...

Double check your plug wires are in the correct order on the plugs.

Take the tank off and set it aside. Use an alternate known clean fuel source with no petcock, just a straight drip into the fuel line. No filter.

Turn the key on. Use a volt meter to check voltage for the orange/white strip wires on the coils (must be at least 11v). If that is a go, test again with the starter turning the motor over (must keep at over at least 11 v). If that is a pass, then using choke try to start the bike. Make sure all 4 plungers are opening when you pull the choke (choke rail that moves is connected to 4 plungers, one on each carb...).

If you get nothing at this point, then try taking the air filter out, and spray a small amount of fuel or starter fluid into each intake. Try starting again.

If you get it to start with fuel/starter fluid sprayed, but it won't stay running... then your carbs are not providing fuel. (and we can address that if it's the case).

If it starts and stays running, start putting things back together, and test after each time to make sure. Put the air filter in. start it. put the tank on, start it.

If you find after a step that it won't stay running, then you narrowed down where the issues are.

krey

Tank was cleaned with electrolysis, and cleaned and lined with the por15 cycle tank kit. I'll give those steps a try.

Comment

Originally posted by setite View Post
          The second is of the bike now, with new fuel line, filter, rebuilt(by me) petcock, I'm starting to run beyond my abilities in figuring out why it wont run. The filter is looking half full of fuel. The petcock lets a small drizzle of fuel flow in the normal position, and lets a lot flow in the pre-fill position. I hope the sound helps someone tell me what's wrong.
          This is part of your problem. In the 'on' position, with the bike not running, there should be zero fuel flow. none. it works from vaccuum pulled from the engine running.

Rebuild your petcock, again.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Check also fuel and vaccun hoses I had a problem in my bike that just function at PRI position after clean carb's and tank, I've discovery that vaccun hose was inverted and blocked by the tank

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
              This is part of your problem. In the 'on' position, with the bike not running, there should be zero fuel flow. none. it works from vaccuum pulled from the engine running.

Rebuild your petcock, again.
              These were my thoughts exactly!
              Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

What should I do to it the second time around. What would cause the flow? Is it the spring? I think I used the old spring because I couldn't get it back together with the new one, but that might be faulty memory. I went back and forth a few times because it seemed like a PITA to turn so I thought I was doing something wrong. But I also wasn't 100% sure how to put it back together with regards to that bent metal behind the switch. I guess I'll give it another go.
                Last edited by setite; 06-23-2012, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by setite View Post
                  I went back and forth a few times because it seemed like a PITA to turn so I thought I was doing something wrong. But I also wasn't 100% sure how to put it back together with regards to that bent metal behind the switch. I guess I'll give it another go.

And that would be where the issue most likely is.

Take the vacuum/diaphram side apart. Take the knob side off.

Put the knob side back first, and make sure the spring that functions for the prime setting is not bent and working properly before putting the diaphram on.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                  X