X

first start after .. no idea how long

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first start after .. no idea how long

alrigth as the title says .. no idea how long its been sence it ran, i drained the oil out of it completely im about to pour new oil in it tommorow, changed the spark plugs and rebuilt the carb im going to rehook up the electrical system tommorow too. anything else i should do before i try to start it? i dont want to damage the engine or anything in my first attempt to run it

Wouldnt hurt to put a shot of WD40 down each spark plug hole and try turning the motor over by hand without the plugs in. Since it sat for who knows how long might be a good idea to make sure the rings are not stuck. I Always do that when I score a barn find car/jeep. change fuel filter too if you did not already, keep a fire ext. nearby, I've seen more than one first start turn into a last fire. Good Luck

Comment

This is obvious but you should clean the tank and make sure there is no rust. Then put fresh fuel in it.

Before you drive check the date code on the tires,clean the chain/replace.

Comment

good luck be careful
        Ride like it's your last ride
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaBadass View Post
          Wouldnt hurt to put a shot of WD40 down each spark plug hole and try turning the motor over by hand without the plugs in. Since it sat for who knows how long might be a good idea to make sure the rings are not stuck. I Always do that when I score a barn find car/jeep. change fuel filter too if you did not already, keep a fire ext. nearby, I've seen more than one first start turn into a last fire. Good Luck
          Would WD-40 really be the best thing for this? I didnt think it was
          a lubricant.

Comment

Originally posted by djdaredevil View Post
            Would WD-40 really be the best thing for this? I didnt think it was
            a lubricant.

It's not a lubricant. It will actually wash off any lubricant you have like oil.

It's a great cleaner and water displacer though... so if that is what your going for...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              It's not a lubricant. It will actually wash off any lubricant you have like oil.

It's a great cleaner and water displacer though... so if that is what your going for...

Krey
              Yeah I wish there was a better way to convey sarcasm on the internet

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Krey
                The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture. This is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to give a low viscosity fluid which can be sprayed and thus penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving the oil behind. A propellant (originally a low-molecular weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) provides gas pressure in the can to force the liquid through the spray nozzle, then evaporates away

It will not wash away oil on a non running engine. That's why I said to turn the engine by hand with the plugs out. The WD will evaporate rather quickly and any residue would be burned of at initial start up.

Comment

Working...
                X