Newbie needs help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needs help

2001 Katana 750
    Hello all, I have been searching for the last 2 days trying to find answers and while I have found a few things, some answers just didn't seem to fit or weren't
    very clear. I need to know what size and type screws/bolts to get for my front fairing around the headlight and windshield, and also in the upper corners of the cockpit area. Also, when starting up from cold the engine runs fine with just a little choke for the first minute, after you go for a ride and get the engine good and hot it will sometimes cut out at idle when I twist the throttle and have a hard time getting it to start back up. While driving normal 3k-4k rpm runs fine but can hear a slight backfire, at idle when I twist the throttle the backfire is very noticeable. Little bit of black smoke at start up but goes away, I have been told this is normal for aircooled bikes. This is my 1st motorcycle and I want to make sure everything is kosher before I start commuting with it. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Check the plugs for lean/idle condition based on the color. Also, FYI, most rough idles are caused by clogged pilot jets in the Carbs. See the Carbs 101 thread on how to pull and clean your carbs.

As for your bolts, it will probably be more economical for you in the end to just purchase a premade kit on eBay or the like that has all of the bolts you need/want.
    Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Originally posted by brentwoodkris View Post
      Check the plugs for lean/idle condition based on the color. Also, FYI, most rough idles are caused by clogged pilot jets in the Carbs. See the Carbs 101 thread on how to pull and clean your carbs.

As for your bolts, it will probably be more economical for you in the end to just purchase a premade kit on eBay or the like that has all of the bolts you need/want.
      Nope. It's a POST KAT, so he needs Carbs 102.

Comment

Definitely do the carbs but you may also have spark issues...

Sounds like tune up .
        1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
        1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
        Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

Thanks so much for the replies, I have already figured on changing the plugs, as for tune up, I may have to wait until I have the scratch to take it somewhere as this is my 1st bike and I don't know enough to feel confident about tackling the carbs on my own RIGHT NOW, but I am determined to learn all I can about it.

Also, the P.O. put on a yoshi pipe and it looks like there is a K&N type air filter and I have no clue if the carbs have been re-jetted or not.
          Last edited by bam45; 06-25-2012, 09:39 AM.

Comment

It doesn't matter if they are jetted or not. With the K&N type air filter your bike is never going to run right.

Comment

If you have black smoke, that means too rich. EIther the carbs were jetted way rich, or your float needles aren't sealing. Go back to the stock air filter.

When you take your carbs apart, look at the jet sizes and needles and post pics of them here so we know what you have and can advise further.

Comment

Thanks, it will probably be a weekend job, I work midnights and my in laws are my neighbors
                so I don't think they would appreciate me wrenching at odd hours. I have been riding the bike back and forth to work for the last few days about a 40 mi round trip each day and it seems to run great once you start going. It's only rough in lower gears 1-2 and low rpms below 3k, the smoke and gas smell almost completely dissapate once engine is warm but the stutter when starting off and only then, never really goes away. I realize that being new to riding in general there may be some things that are to be expected from a bike that I just don't know. Thank you for your time and information, I greatly appreciate it!

Comment

replaced plugs with new NGK iridiums, no one near me had a filter so I pulled the K&N and cleaned/oiled it. Let sit overnight, Fired up much stronger than usual and sounded much better, there is still just the slightest amount of stutter but no longer have problems starting off in 1-2 gear, no jerking or stutter but the pipe still pops a fair amount. from left to right the plugs didn't look too bad, light grey ash color, no build-up, electrode arms(2 per on adjacent sides of electrode)
                  did not look like they were gapped right, one side looked good but the other side was bent much further down almost touching the electrode in the middle. The #3 plug was the only one that was black in color and slightly wet to the touch, didn't look drowned but you never know. I am currently reading up on pulling/checking/cleaning the carbs and making sure I have all the tools and items I will need to make the process as smooth as possible.

Comment

Working...
                  X