X

Whats a set of carbs really worth?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats a set of carbs really worth?

In your opinion, what's a set of carbs worth for a pre Kat 750. I have been trying to source a set to replace the ones currently on my 92 Kat 750. Haven't had any luck really, they seem to sell long before I can get my hands on them or the seller wants to much money.

This weekend I found a set off a 94 Kat 750 that's being parted out locally thru Craigslist. The entire bike for $700. Sent the guy a message and he replies that he wants $325 because it has a stage 3 jet kit and K&N dual pods. So, I replied and said "thanks for your time" and left it at that.

He just sent another message and wants me to make an offer. The stage 3 is of no good to me and so are the pods unless they will fit my Bandit motor. Basically I'm only after a good set of carb bodies. I'm trying to figure an offer to send him that I think is resonable. How much does everyone think?

Originally posted by 92GSX750 View Post
    In your opinion, what's a set of carbs worth for a pre Kat 750. I have been trying to source a set to replace the ones currently on my 92 Kat 750. Haven't had any luck really, they seem to sell long before I can get my hands on them or the seller wants to much money.

This weekend I found a set off a 94 Kat 750 that's being parted out locally thru Craigslist. The entire bike for $700. Sent the guy a message and he replies that he wants $325 because it has a stage 3 jet kit and K&N dual pods. So, I replied and said "thanks for your time" and left it at that.

He just sent another message and wants me to make an offer. The stage 3 is of no good to me and so are the pods unless they will fit my Bandit motor. Basically I'm only after a good set of carb bodies. I'm trying to figure an offer to send him that I think is resonable. How much does everyone think?
    Pods are worthless, so tell him to keep them... please, keep them.

Stage 3 means dyno jet, or worse... off name brand most likely. And also, not what you want at all.

I'd avoid those personally.

Unbuilt and needing to be redone, I'd say 80-150 depending on condition. Recently/fully rebuilt correctly and I'd say your probably in the $400 range.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'm happy with my factory pro stage 1 and have new emulsion tubes and needles in route from factory pro. What I want to do is get another set, fully strip and dip them, then swap all my factory pro stuff and hard parts to the clean set.

My set is in decent shape except for the #3 carb. PO stripped the pilot jet and the threads real good where I cant get it out. All I have been able to do is open that jet with a set of tip cleaners. But I have enlarged it some in the process. Like I said I really only need the carb bodies and 1 good pilot jet.

I send an offer of $150 depending on how clean they are when I pop the cap and bowl off, and see if he bites. Thanks

Comment

I never pay more than $50 for a set of used carbs, you never know what it's going to cost you. Just be patient and keep your eyes peeled, you'll find them.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Id say around 100 in decent shape

Comment

Have you tried using an easy-out on your stuck pilot jet? Unless your carb body is really in bad shape that should get it out of there and then you're just replacing a jet to have your current carbs at 100%.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              Have you tried using an easy-out on your stuck pilot jet? Unless your carb body is really in bad shape that should get it out of there and then you're just replacing a jet to have your current carbs at 100%.
              What he said! Try drilling a pilot hole in the jet with a 3/32" drill bit. Then take a #1 screw extractor (got mine at Home Depot), hammer it carefully into the jet and then set your drill on reverse to screw the jet out. Thats what I did to take mine out and they were mangled up bad.

Comment

Unless you get a look inside of them id say 50-75 used. You really never know what its gonna look like once you get them open. Have you tried from people parting bikes out on here ?

Comment

I haven't tried the easy out method. Actually didn't think about that and might give it a go this week. The only thing I worry about is if it doesn't work. In that case I will be screwed and have to buy a overpriced set.

I used to try and find carbs on this site, and wound up giving up on that. Seems like they dissapear before I could get my hands on them.

Comment

Originally posted by 92GSX750 View Post
                    I haven't tried the easy out method. Actually didn't think about that and might give it a go this week. The only thing I worry about is if it doesn't work. In that case I will be screwed and have to buy a overpriced set.

I used to try and find carbs on this site, and wound up giving up on that. Seems like they dissapear before I could get my hands on them.
                    I think you should go for the screw extractor method. I had no heads even left on my pilot jets and the extractor took em out like nothing. It's easy to do

Comment

Working...
                    X