X

bad motor, bad headers? help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad motor, bad headers? help!

On my way home from work today, my bike was running just fine....Then all of a sudden my bike basically pooped on me....barely got it home. I was driving in the city and all of a sudden i started hear what i thought to be a really bad sounding car....Since i was in the city I assumed it was the piece of crap ghetto car beside me making the awful noise....When i turned, i noticed the noise kept following me and getting worse and worse.....Then, it feels like i lost 75% of my power and the motor sounded SOOO loud. I was able to get it home, but it was really loud....I had to keep the rps around 5000 in order to keep the bike from stalling out. Am i safe to say that this is just the headers coming / came loose or did i blow the motor?
    Bike is a 2001 Katana 600. Just turned over 20,000 miles.

Any advice and knowledge i would greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

Scooby

Er, time to take the plastic off and take a look i'd think.

Pull the spark plugs.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      Er, time to take the plastic off and take a look i'd think.
      +1

I had something similar but my issue wasn't gradual. I was on the freeway, everything was fine one moment then bam, a very load engine noise and loss of power. Had to strip the body off to find out the threads in the #2 spark plug were striped in the cylinder head.

The noise was exactly like an exhaust noise, like the exhaust headers fell off.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Okay. Thanks for that info. When I get off work tonight, i'll go home and rip the plastics off and check the spark plugs.

Comment

Just wanted to let you know Squiggy, you were right! Sparkplug stripped from the head! Wasnt that bad of a fix at all! Thanks for the pointers of where to look!

Comment

Working...
          X