X

New chain, some questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New chain, some questions

So I just installed a new chain (first time doing so) and I have a few questions.

First, there is about a millimeter of play from side to side with the chain on the new sprocket. It's a JT 48 tooth rear. Is it normal to have this movement?

Second, I noticed that I can freely rotate the front sprocket almost a quarter of a turn before it engages when in gear. Is this normal?

Third, the chain came with a waxy factory coating. If I'm going to be lubing with heavy oil, do I need to remove this coating first, or can I just slather the oil on?

New chain, new sprockets, new clutch, new dampers in the rear wheel, new front brake pads, bike feels great right now.

Originally posted by mykat View Post
    So I just installed a new chain (first time doing so) and I have a few questions.

First, there is about a millimeter of play from side to side with the chain on the new sprocket. It's a JT 48 tooth rear. Is it normal to have this movement? .
    yes

Second, I noticed that I can freely rotate the front sprocket almost a quarter of a turn before it engages when in gear. Is this normal? .
    not sure...never checked

Third, the chain came with a waxy factory coating. If I'm going to be lubing with heavy oil, do I need to remove this coating first, or can I just slather the oil on?.
    just add on top of the old

New chain, new sprockets, new clutch, new dampers in the rear wheel, new front brake pads, bike feels great right now.
    nice
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Third, the chain came with a waxy factory coating. If I'm going to be lubing with heavy oil, do I need to remove this coating first, or can I just slather the oil on?
      Originally posted by mammut89 View Post

yes just add on top of the old
      You can do that but it will creat a sticky mess as it all flings off when you take your first ride. It will take some elbow grease to clean that mess off or your bike.

It's best to clean the waxy coating off of the chain with kerosine first and then oil the chain as you normally would.
      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

You should remove the packing grease from the chain before installation. It's a preservative to keep the chain from rusting during storage and transit, not intended for lubrication.

The chain how to specifically discusses using kerosense or mineral spirits to remove it.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
        X