X

High idle Help!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High idle Help!!!

just got my bike running for the first time since i bought it, i have somewhat of a high idle its at 3 and a half 4, my guessing is to clean the carbs maybe adjust the screw, opinions please?

I am no expert and I am sure others will give feedback but I just had close to the same issue. It would idle fine at times, other times be at 2 to 4. I checked the throttle cables to make sure they were not binding, frayed, and also that they were ran correctly from carb to throttle. That was fine so I tore down the carbs using carburetors 102 for a thorough cleaning, that is where I found a bent butterfly, broken pilot jet, broken starter jet and a bent main jet holder all thanks to one of the previous owners. From what I have gathered from others and the carb 102, if the idle was hanging and then dropping, that is cleaning otherwise something else is going on like a vacuum leak or something like what I found etc. Hope that may help you some until someone posts.

Comment

Originally posted by 609njkatana View Post
      my guessing is to clean the carbs
      You just answered your own question. And sync also. If you still have a high idle, start searching for a vacuum leak.

Comment

So i figured it out and the throttle cable needs to be rerouted the L pipe that comes off the throttle isnt really attached well and i noticed when i move it the idle would go up

Comment

THe L-pipe? That's your choke. When you move it, the idle is supposed to go up. They are all like that.

Comment

I think he may be talking about the cable sheath how they
            have the L bend in them

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
              THe L-pipe? That's your choke. When you move it, the idle is supposed to go up. They are all like that.
              theres one on the throttle side too, im not that much of an idiot -_-

Originally posted by djdaredevil View Post
              I think he may be talking about the cable sheath how they
              have the L bend in them
              , i dont know technical names but it is a pipe in an L shaped and i know it houses the cable from the throttle
              Last edited by 609njkatana; 06-01-2012, 08:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by 609njkatana View Post
                , i dont know technical names but it is a pipe in an L shaped and i know it houses the cable from the throttle
                When names fail you... pictures are always a huge help for those trying to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by green_bread View Post
                  When names fail you... pictures are always a huge help for those trying to help you.

Comment

The L bend has a lock nut and a threaded coupler nut on it... those are to adjust the length of the cable. You should loosen the lock nut, then turn the threaded coupler until your throttle can turn 1/4" in movement with out engaging the cable.

Then lock it back down.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ok so i took my carbs apart soaked the jets (i couldnt get 1 of the jets out but all the rest i did) i used the carb 101 wiki&PDF file to do it, i adjusted my a/f mixture screw to 2.5 turns out but i cant get it to idle properly still, will still idle at 3/4grand, the response on the throttle is better when i crack it real quick, the idle adjuster screw doesnt do anything now... HELP?!?!?!?!

Comment

Your throttle cable may be too tight.

Do you have any slack in the cable? You should have some. The technique I learned is to loosen the cable enough that you can feel the slack in the throttle grip then tighten it a little at a time until you stop hearing the butterflies snap shut when you letgo of the grip. From there you loosen the cable until you can hear the butterflies slam shut again. I do this with the bars turned all the way to the left since that seems to put a bit of a pull on the cable sometimes.
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

like is i loosen the adjuster knob all the way there should be slack? cause if thats what your say no i do not have slack

Comment

Loosen the idle knob on the left of the bike all the way. There should be slack in the throttle cables. If not, you need to adjust them so there is. Should tell you how to do it in the service manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                              The L bend has a lock nut and a threaded coupler nut on it... those are to adjust the length of the cable. You should loosen the lock nut, then turn the threaded coupler until your throttle can turn 1/4" in movement with out engaging the cable.

Then lock it back down.

Krey

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                              X