X

Exhaust header crush gaskets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust header crush gaskets

Unless I'm mistaken, it's pretty much impossible to change the oil filter without removing the exhaust header.

I've always wondered, how many times do you think those crush gaskets in the exhuast ports can be reused?

I replace them every time. I also use exhaust sealant on them every time.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

depends on your bike (regarding the oil filter).. i can change the filter no problem without taking the exhaust off. got a pre 750 with a stock exhaust..

regarding the gaskets, you CAN use them a second time, if you happen to take the exhaust off not long after you installed it with new gaskets it should be perfectly fine. if they have been there for any length of time, replace them.. if your in doubt install new gaskets
      if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

I don't take off exhaust on my 98 750. you might get oil on pipes but it cleans off.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

With the right oil filter wrench I don't have to take the exhaust off my 95 750.

Comment

Ive never taken my exhaust off to remove my oil filter 93 600 with 4-1 and 91 600 with 4-2-1 headers

Comment

Oh hell no... I have never removed my headers... definitely not for an oil change.
              2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
              Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
              "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
              Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
              Veteran of the United States Air Force.
              "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Certain exhaust systems, you have to remove the headers to get the oil filter off. And since the OP's bike is a conglomeration of random crap. I wouldn't doubt you do.

Comment

Working...
                X