X

Katana not running well and 100+ miles away

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana not running well and 100+ miles away

I just moved and I haven't had a chance to move my 2004 Katana 600 with me. I don't have the bike with me, but I'll be able to work on it this coming weekend. It hasn't been running quite right since late last fall. I've been doing some work to it to get it to run right, but it is inconsistent. I just wanted to see if anyone has had similar issues or tips on what to check.

First, it randomly wouldn't start (usually when the bike was warm but also cold). Found the fuel filter was bad. I could shake it and make it so I couldn't blow through it.

I ran it for a little while with the bad fuel filter until I got a new one. During that time (the last time I rode it in 2011) the tach stopped working and the rest of the gauges slowly stopped working. From my experience, I knew that was a voltage problem and thought that the alternator went bad.

I replaced the fuel filter to try to get it running to test the alternator, but I couldn't get it to start. I took off the carbs and did a basic cleaning (took off and cleaned bowls and choke diaphragm (not very dirty at all)). I got it to start and the gauges worked fine.

The only problem was that it didn't start as easy as it used to (kept dying on me at first) but when I got it running, it ran alright except for a couple things. They only time that it would have a misfire is when I first accelerate at about 30 mph. After that it was fine. Also, it occasionally liked to idle at 2k. And now the gauges quit again. That was right before I left from my last visit so I didn't have time to check it or even a multimeter.

I know this is weird, but I need to get it running before I can ride it to where I'm living now. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

On the kat, it's a screen not a fuel filter. If you repalced it with one from an auto parts store it won't flow enough fuel as the system isn't pressurized.

The battery might be toasted. Check with a multi meter.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      On the kat, it's a screen not a fuel filter. If you repalced it with one from an auto parts store it won't flow enough fuel as the system isn't pressurized.

The battery might be toasted. Check with a multi meter.
      +1......... or try jumping it with a non-running car or truck battery. Kats seem to appreciate new as opposed to recharged batteries.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Thanks for the tips.
        The fuel filter I bought had a bronze element. I did try a universal paper filter first, but not for long. Here's the link to the one that I bought:
        http://www.bikebandit.com/emgo-anodi...um-fuel-filter

I tested the battery last year and it was great. I've kept it on a tender. It doesn't have a problem cranking. Only the gauges are electrically wrong with it so it probably isn't getting the right voltage, but it doesn't happen all the time. I'll check the voltage this weekend if I can get it running. Oh, I also replaced the spark plugs with iridium plugs while I was working on it last winter. I chose iridium because I read that it was better for short trips and I have a short ride to work. Probably has nothing to do with it, but just thought that I should include that.

Comment

Working...
        X